• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GPA61
    • Sep 2004
    • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

band saw

I want to get a 14" band saw to replace my 12 incher and I found a used one.
    I have no idea how much to pay for an old machine like this one. it is a Delta/ Rockwell
    it has a 1 hp. single phase motor, 6" spacer and it runs great (so I was told). The guy
    is asking $450. is it a fair price? Picture below.

Thank you for your input.
    Attached Files
    Claudio
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by GPA61
    I want to get a 14" band saw to replace my 12 incher and I found a used one.
    I have no idea how much to pay for an old machine like this one. it is a Delta/ Rockwell
    it has a 1 hp. single phase motor, 6" spacer and it runs great (so I was told). The guy
    is asking $450. is it a fair price? Picture below.

Thank you for your input.
    Amazon lists the current delta model 14" with 1 HP for $632.
    http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-28-206-P.../dp/B00006JZZR
    Amazon sells the 6" riser kit for $131.
    So you're looking at $760 for the current model plus tax and shipping you save.

The photo looks clean. Delta is usually a desirable name brand. the models haven't really evolved a whole lot, so it won't be missing any new features.
    i'd say that's not a bad price, not great but not bad.

Does he include any additional items not normally part of the bandsaw like fence and quick tensioner he may have added? Extra blades?

You might compare against the Grizzly G0555 for value. That's a competant saw of similar spec and design also 1 HP includes fence at $450, but riser is $70.
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0555-...8103771&sr=1-1
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

That's pretty much what I was thinking. If it's running well, it's an ok price, but as it's not a world class bargain, I think I would try offering less, nothing to lose.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by herb fellows
        That's pretty much what I was thinking. If it's running well, it's an ok price, but as it's not a world class bargain, I think I would try offering less, nothing to lose.
        Good strategy... I think something in the area of $300 would be reasonable.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

I would love to get 1 like that at $450, its a good price IMO if it runs well, As a comparison price here,s another on CL in Tenn., http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/tls/1629336918.html

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

The Delta-Rockwell was probably better built than the current newer model and was very desired at one time. But... I would still ask if he would take $350 and come up to $400 if he won't. That would put you around $500 with riser. I would personally save the extra cash and go for one of the newer 14" with 12" re-saw built on.

Good luck...

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

(Sidebar to Sarge: note that this saw already has the riser block installed. It's visible in the photo.)

Is this particular saw an import, or one of the Made In USA models? The model Loring linked to is Chinese in origin, as are most of the cast iron 14" saws these days. Being a Rockwell/Delta, this one might well be USA-made, and all else being equal that usually makes it worth more. One of the band saw gurus -- I'm pretty sure it was Lou Iturra -- answered the question "What band saw do you recommend?" by saying something like, "Get a Made In USA Delta, the older the better."
              Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's a Rockwell delta listing on CL - Dallas-FW linked by Brazosjake this AM.
                http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=50043

Wanting $200. From the pic it looks to be about the same (rear view only shown for some reason) No riser, looks to be in somewhat less well taken care of shape (table is definately rusty where yours is not)

if this one is worth $200 then the one you showed is probably worth at least $400, if not more. As with all things, what its worth depends on how bad you want it and how badly the seller needs to move it. Should be a good saw, I would think.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-09-2010, 09:22 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Larry is correct on the riser as I didn't even look at the picture so the cost of riser is not valid. Larry is also correct about the early Delta's made in the U.S. as I stated about better built and were very desirable at one time by the WW'ing community. The newer Delta's are just not your father's Chevrolet.

I would still offer $350 to get a feel and then $400 but frankly probably worth the $450 in reality if this is indeed the U.S. built saw. It looks to be in very good condition.

Comment

• GPA61
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                    • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Thank you guys for your input.
                    Claudio

Comment

Working...