• Show
Clear All
  • Bill Stock
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Canada, Eh!
    • BT3100

Right tool for cutting metal?

I have to remove several 1/8" wide strips of metal from inside a PC. The strips are about 3" long and at right angles to a metal plate. The plates are riveted in place, so taking them out is not an option. Plan B would be to take the guts out of the PC and grind/dremel them out. But I'm thinking the right set of snips will shear these off close enough to the plate.

Any thoughts on a brand/type of snips or other bright ideas?

Thanks.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Well, how thick are the strips? If they are over a 16th you may have problems shearing them. You are right to want to cut them out that way to prevent any metal dust from being left in the case. Can you drill out the rivets as a plan b?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Bill Stock
      Established Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Canada, Eh!
      • BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Well, how thick are the strips? If they are over a 16th you may have problems shearing them. You are right to want to cut them out that way to prevent any metal dust from being left in the case. Can you drill out the rivets as a plan b?
      Don't have my calipers handy, but likely 3/64" give or take.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Can you just bend the strips back and forth until they break off?
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

You need a tool something like this.

They are common in auto body shops. If you know someone with a shop or does home body work they may cut it for you, or it's a reason for another tool.

Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
            You need a tool something like this.

They are common in auto body shops. If you know someone with a shop or does home body work they may cut it for you, or it's a reason for another tool.

Bill
            Steel or aluminum?

3/64 or 1/16 is likely too thick for tin snips/shears.

Bill illustrated a air nibbler. they make manual nibblers that are hand operated and don't cost much an nibble thru 1/16th steel.

dnibblers will leave 1/16th x 1/4" nibbles all around possible shorting out your pc. You might have to empty it out..

A hack saw will also do the job. You may need to get one of those small hack saw blade holders to get into a tight spot.
            a pic sure would help
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill Stock
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Canada, Eh!
              • BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
              Can you just bend the strips back and forth until they break off?
              Did cross my mind, but the strips are not very wide and parallel to the opening. Otherwise a pair of wide jawed vice grips might do.

Comment

• Bill Stock
                Established Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Canada, Eh!
                • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Steel or aluminum?

3/64 or 1/16 is likely too thick for tin snips/shears.

Bill illustrated a air nibbler. they make manual nibblers that are hand operated and don't cost much an nibble thru 1/16th steel.

dnibblers will leave 1/16th x 1/4" nibbles all around possible shorting out your pc. You might have to empty it out..

A hack saw will also do the job. You may need to get one of those small hack saw blade holders to get into a tight spot.
                a pic sure would help
                Thanks, I have a manual nibbler, but the strips are not at right angles to the access opening.

I want to remove the drive supports (1/8" fins) from the drive cage so I can insert two 3.5" five drive hot swappable bays. I currently have two four drive bays installed, but they have slots to accomodate the fins. Unfortunately they don't keep the drives cool enough and the fans are starting to go as well.

The machine is my Linux Media Server.

I think I'll just buy a decent pair of left and right snips and try those.

Comment

• iceman61
                  • Oct 2007
                  • West TN
                  • Bosch 4100-09

I don't really have a good grasp of your description but I've always separated metal pieces that were riveted together by just drill through the inside of the rivet starting with the smallest bit that will fit through the hole. This way the rivet eventually drops out when you get to the right sized bit with out enlarging the hole.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by iceman61
                    I don't really have a good grasp of your description but I've always separated metal pieces that were riveted together by just drill through the inside of the rivet starting with the smallest bit that will fit through the hole. This way the rivet eventually drops out when you get to the right sized bit with out enlarging the hole.
                    Then all you do is rerivet it back together. See some of the case modding video's on You tube. Tin snips work for thin metal, but so much of the pc cases have metal folded on top of itself making itself to thick. If the case was empty, I would use a Dremel and a cut off wheel. Even a manual nibbler may have issues with the thickness.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• phi1l
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Madison, WI

the Dremel will work well, also this would be a good excuse to run over th HF & pick up a multi-function power tool, if you don't already have one.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

If a snips can access the metal, Wiss brand makes excellent snips, in left, right, or straight cut. Maybe an end nipper would be better.

Comment

• JeffG78
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                          • BT3100

Just keep in mind that a grinding tool, like a Dremel will create fine metal debris that will hide in every nook and cranny. Is that going to be an issue with your project? If so, you will need to use a shearing tool like a nibbler or tin snips.

Comment

• Bill Stock
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Canada, Eh!
                            • BT3100

We have a winner - sort of

I went to look at the snips today and soon realized that the right and left snips would not get close enough to the plate for my needs. The left and right offset snips looked promising, but were rather pricey for a set. I thought I had seen straight snips with short narrow blades, rather like stubby scissors, but I could not find any. I'm not sure they would have the leverage in any event.

So I ended up buying a pair of extended reach Needle Nose pliers to try Crochet's idea. It's not the cleanest job, but seemed to work OK. Only eleven more to go.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

How about a file mounted in a reciprocal saw.
                              When you are done breaking it off you can file it smooth.

Bill

Comment

Working...