• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cubsfan
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • CO.

Help selecting a new tablesaw

For various reasons, I've kind of fallen out of love with my BT3100, and am planning to get a new table saw. I have about 1/2 of a garage to keep things in, but am still trying to keep things at least able to be packed away, so mobility is very high on the list.

Anyway, my current contenders are:

- About $370, which is quite nice. The build quality isn't rock solid from reports, but it sounds like a good option.

- About $519 + $70 for a mobile base ~= $600

- About $700

Any thoughts about these three. I'm really leaning toward the sears one mainly due to price. If I look at either of the other two the purchase will probably be put off for a decent amount of time.

Thanks for any insights!
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

If the need is not immediate I would consider the two higher priced options. Either of those should last a good long time and my guess is you will be glad you waited to get them. Another option is to watch the classifieds, craigslist, etc in your area for one you could restore.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• natausch
      Established Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Aurora, IL
      • BT3000 - 15A

Personally I'd wait a few months until the major wood shows start up again. Right now there is a "dearth" of hybrid/contractors saws that meet the requirements of a secondary saw in a professional shop or a higher end amateur shop.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Delta and Grizzly are very similar under the hood, but the Delta has cast iron wings, and a built in mobile base (a mobile base can be added to any saw). Grizzly has other versions of that saw with cast iron wings too. Both are the older style contractor saws with the motor hanging out the back. Both have very nice steel t-square fences.

The Craftsman 21833 is more of a hybrid saw with the motor moved inside the enclosure, which has a smaller footprint, shorter drive belt, better dust collection, and no "lifting" hazard when the motor is tilted. The 21833 also has a riving knife and a built in mobile base. It also has steel wings. There was a good discussion on it here. Here's an owner review on Lumberjocks.

The granite top Craftsman 22116 hybrid has been on sale for < $700 last week, and would have more appeal to me than any of these, though I'm less certain about the granite top. It's made by Steel City and has a riving knife, cabinet mounted trunnions, steel t-square fence, and a full enclosure. You might also find a clearance deal on the 22124 hybrid. The Steel City 35920 and 35930 are similar.

If you've got 220v, you might want give some consideration to this Central Machinery 93380 3hp cabinet saw. I've never seen one, but from the manual it looks similar to many of the Asian import cabinet saws. Not my favorite brand, but I've had good luck with some select HF tools, and this looks like a lot of saw for the money. There's a good review and discussion on it here.

A good used saw is always a viable option for maximizing your budget.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• master53yoda
          Established Member
          • Oct 2008
          • Spokane Washington
          • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

for me I'd go buy the bt3version from sears and put it on a built up base. it can't be beat for the price and non commercial use.

my 2 cents worth.
          Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by master53yoda
            for me I'd go buy the bt3version from sears and put it on a built up base. it can't be beat for the price and non commercial use.

my 2 cents worth.
            Master Y, in all your wisdom you must have missed the part where the O.P. says he's fallen out of love with his BT3000.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

What about the Ridgid 4511? Granite top and a 1 3/4hp motor, not bad for the $$, certainly a hybrid, has a Riving knife.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by drumpriest
                What about the Ridgid 4511? Granite top and a 1 3/4hp motor, not bad for the $$, certainly a hybrid, has a Riving knife.
                Great deal if you can still find one, but they discontinued them and closed them out for $299....worth a look but prolly not many left.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I want comment on any of the contractor saws since it has been many years since I had one but.. I will comment that it would be a cold day in Haiti before I payed $700 for a contractor saw. I sold a factory re-conditioned (new motor.. table completely re-ground.. new trunnions.. Biesemeyer fence) Uni-saw for $825. There are cabinet saws listed used from $600-$900 often in my area. $700 for a new contractor just isn't appealing to me personally.

You would be wise to be patient and look around since you have a saw at the moment in lieu of jump on the first impulse you have.

Good luck...

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Sarge is right about the pricing. I paid $440 for my Delta 979 contractor saw (same base saw as the O.P. posted, without any fence) + $80 & tax for the Bies fence when Lowe's was clearing them out a few years ago. For about $550, I have the same saw with IMHO a better fence than the 980 saw has. In effect, I have the 982 model.

If you can manage it financially and space wise, you may be better off with a used Uni or PM66, etc. I would have gone that route, but I'm not sure that putting a Uni in my shop would work out well, given the floor where the "982" is.
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Cubsfan
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • CO.

Thanks for the help everyone. What if I added this one into the mix:

We have re-vamped our new contractor-style saw by taking 20 years of customer comments and in-use experience and applying them to this new saw. We feel that there is no contractor-style saw on the market (at any price) that can compare in quality to this<li>Patented heavy-duty cast iron miter gauge with adjustable bar<li>T-slotted table<li>Rock solid Shop Fox aluma-classic fence with easy adjustment feature<ul><li>57" rails are standard (30" ripping capacity)<li>Powder coated paint for durability<li>Large dust hood underneath with a 4" connector port<li>Side braces punched to accept hooks to hang blades, wrenches, inserts, etc<li>Heavy duty cast iron handwheels with chrome handles<li>Fence mounted switch for easy access<li>Precision ground cast iron table and wings<li>Includes regular as well as dado blade inserts<li>Beveled table edge<li>Precision machined cast iron motor pulley for reduced vibration<li>Aluma-classic fence lifts off instantly<li>G0444Z approximate shipping weight: 298 lbs.<li>Extension rails available to rip 50" wide<li>Made in a ISO 9001 rated factory<li>2HP 110V/220V, pre-wired 220V with cast iron table and wings<p><p>PUSH STICK H3308 INCLUDED </ul>

Can anyone help me out comparing that one to the others, specifically the delta?

Thanks!

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

I haven't used either saw, but the Grizzly appears to be more saw for less money. Fence is longer - 42" vs 30" IIRC. Table is more or less same size although the Delta lets you rip 13" to left of blade, Grizz is only 10". Grizz motor is bigger, at least it is rated for more HP. Of course this could just be the rating on it. Both are 240/120V capable. Grizz comes prewired for 220V which I actually prefer. The Grizz is also heavier which implies better construction, at least to me. Grizz fence is also a Shop Fox fence. If it were me, I would buy the Grizzly. Both saws will do what you want, the Grizz will do it for less money.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Benbrook, TX.
                          • Emerson-built Craftsman

I'll have to join Sarge's dogpile on the $700 contractor saw. If you've got that kinda money to spend, go a couple or three hundred extra and get a cabinet saw. If you're space-challenged, the footprint is actually smaller since the motor isn't sticking out the back.

Comment

• Cubsfan
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • CO.

Ok, one more

Turns out I can still get a G0444 for around $545 shipped. Any thoughts about how that one compares to the shopfox one?

As far as the cabinet saw, I could get one, but that's really getting too expensive for my budget. The $700 option is already really pushing the budget to the breaking limit, so adding 'just' another few hundred pretty much breaks it. Especially when I compare it to the more budget-reasonable saws around $500.

Thanks still for all the help!

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Shop Fox and Grizzly are sister companies, and are often very similar tools. SF carries a longer warranty.

In this case, the SF is the same as the former Grizzly G0575, which was the left tilt equivalent of the Grizzly G0444. The G0444"Z" ups the motor power and adds cast iron wings...the G0576 was the left tilt equivalent of the G0444Z. The fence on all of these is the SF Aluma Classic...steel t-square design with aluminum faces...similar to the Biese Homeshop fence. If you don't mind right tilt, the extra power and cast iron wings for $70 is money well spent IMHO. Both are still the older style contractor saws with table mounted trunnions, connecting rods, and an outboard motor.
                              Last edited by Knottscott; 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...