• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luckbox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Holly Springs, NC

Darkside question?

I was just cutting some 3/4 red oak with my Ridgid ts3650 and miidway through the cut the saw bogged down the bladed slowed to a srtop and was making horrible squeeling sounds. I stoped the saw and made the belt as tight as I could get it. I got through one piece of wood then the next piece the same thing happened. Does this mean I need a new belt or is there another issue?
    I love lamp.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

How's the blade? It could be dull, dirty, misaligned or all of the above. Are you using a splitter? There could also be belt issues, and issues with the stock itself if it's moist, reactive, or not flat/straight.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I'd definitely check the blade and also that you're not hitting some hidden metal or whatever in the stock.

Also, the belt needs to be properly tensioned... and "tight as you can get it", could very well be too tight, causing undo stress on the motor shaft and bearings. While that may not be the immediate problem, over a period of time, it can cause damage to the motor.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Is it possible the wood is binding on the blade? Sometimes, even with the splitter in place, the wood will pinch the blade with a death grip.

Next time it happens turn off the saw. Then start pulling the wood back towards you and if it binds on the blade and doesn't want to move, you have some reactive wood.

Comment

• Charlie
          Banned
          • Jul 2009

Are you checking which way the crown on the board is, if any at all, before you run the board through the saw ? Does the outlet that the saw is pluged into have enough power, and or, are you running a heavy enough extension cord ? Have you cleaned the pulleys ? Unplug the saw and remove the belt on the blade arbor pulley, spin the arbor by hand and make sure it spins freely, and without any grumbleing noise or play, you may also want to do this with the motor arbor. This also may be an opertunity to buy a Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt if you haven't allready.

Comment

• Luckbox
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Holly Springs, NC

I believe the issue is with the belt tension. I raised the blade higher and was able to finish my cutting today. The motor moves freely up and down with no problems but it is always "bottom out" at top of the curved slot on the motor base spring plate. I will probably need to look up the manual for how to change this so it floats in the middle of the slot
            I love lamp.

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

+1 with the other posters.

But as CWS mentioned, never tighten a belt 'too tight'. Later down the way, you're sure to have problems with the bearings and/or the belt wearing out too quickly.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I think your motor is sealed but I used to use a saw with an open motor. Over time the air slots in the stator would fill up with saw dust which cut power and eventually stopped the motor. Blowing it out made it work again. It might be worth opening up the motor if it keeps acting odd.

Jim

Comment

• Charlie
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Luckbox
                  I believe the issue is with the belt tension. I raised the blade higher and was able to finish my cutting today. The motor moves freely up and down with no problems but it is always "bottom out" at top of the curved slot on the motor base spring plate. I will probably need to look up the manual for how to change this so it floats in the middle of the slot
                  It sounds like the motor is mounted on the plate inncorrectly, too far forward or back. Is it the original V*belt thats on the saw ? Hopefully it hasn't been replaced with an automotive belt. Electric motor belts have a different bevel. Another nice thing about the Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belts is that you can make the belt longer or shorter.

Comment

• pecker
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Charlie
                    It sounds like the motor is mounted on the plate inncorrectly, too far forward or back. Is it the original V*belt thats on the saw ? Hopefully it hasn't been replaced with an automotive belt. Electric motor belts have a different bevel. Another nice thing about the Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belts is that you can make the belt longer or shorter.
                    That saw uses a Poly-V belt. Link belts don't fit it.
                    The initial adjustments of the motor mount (see the manual) just establishes where the motor sits on it's pivoting mount. So you may be right that it is bottoming out at one end of it's travel.
                    The weight of the motor determines the tension.

Comment

• Charlie
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by pecker
                      That saw uses a Poly-V belt. Link belts don't fit it.
                      A person could get machined V-belt pulleys and a link belt locally or from In-Line. It can be done, but the Poly belt I would think would be pretty good.

Comment

Working...