X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

DeWalt radial are saws

There are a couple here I,m going to look at , Don,t really know that I need as I have more tools than I can use, but thought maybe have one set up just for Dado,s. The prices are well within my range, but I know little about the DeWalt line. Any help would be app.,.., http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/1591718721.html,..., http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/1592120809.html
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Over at Delphi, are the DeWalt radial arm saw forums. Also, most of the members are also on the Yahoo one (I haven't visited in quite a while now).

The FIRST link, is hard to tell what model it is (side view would be better). The second one says the model, and has the handle towards the front (generally not liked as well). Neither are considered as good as the old cast iron (round top) models, or the one square (pre B&D) days. The good late model (generally liked) is the 790 series.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Well these have been available for about 6 mo,s but he won,t come off the price, but I keep watching them,.., http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/1591099891.html

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Those are MUCH larger and the old commercial ones (think of the one in the back of your borg). Those may not even be worth your time, depending on where your shop is (hernia/basement).
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

It could be worthwhile to have a RAS set up just for dadoes. RAS's are a great machine designed to do crosscuts. Beyond that, alignment and fiddling becomes part of the process. I've always had a RAS and always will. I keep one set up for 90 degrees, and don't change it.

For dadoes, a router will provide the cleanest dadoe IMO. I'm not impressed with any blade or stack set, as they leave a lot to be desired for a good clean groove.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

If you decide to pick one up, The Original Saw Company has manuals available for them. The link below has a little bit of everything, what to look for in a saw, history, rebuilding, and some additional resources that you may or may not be able to find.

My dad gave me his 1960 1120S and everyone on the planet denies they have parts for it. I got really lucky and found a second one on Craigslist with a bad motor, but it had all the missing and damaged parts I needed.
            Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

In the States, I have the second one that is in the first post. It does a fair job when there is nothing else around. I plan on using it for a dado machine.

The PDF listed by Twistsol is good.

One statement caught my eye:
              Why all the trouble with the table? Because the table is the absolute key to good saw performance. A perfectly flat table that’s adjusted dead parallel with the arm will make a properly adjusted DeWalt radial arm saw with a good quality, sharp blade into a precision cutting instrument, like nothing else you’ve ever experienced.

This is so true.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• milanuk
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

I just picked up a 12" Dewalt 7790 RAS for $100 off Craigslist a week or so ago... had to take it apart to get it down in the basement shop by myself. It runs, but I figure to get everything 'right' its going to be a minor rebuild project - new motor bearings, new carriage bearings, and a few small parts. Something to chip away at in between other things.

Good luck with your hunt!

Monte
                All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

• BrazosJake
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Benbrook, TX.
                  • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by milanuk
                  I just picked up a 12" Dewalt 7790 RAS for $100 off Craigslist a week or so ago... had to take it apart to get it down in the basement shop by myself. It runs, but I figure to get everything 'right' its going to be a minor rebuild project - new motor bearings, new carriage bearings, and a few small parts. Something to chip away at in between other things.

Good luck with your hunt!

Monte
                  Go to Accurate Bearings for the motor bearings. I just got some for my MBC rebuild. Tell them you're a woodoworker, apparently, OWWM gives them a lot of business.

Comment

• milanuk
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Cool! I'll look into that... I just got my copy of the 'Mr. Sawdust' book yesterday, and I also ordered a copy of Jon Eakes book on tuning a RAS, as they seemed to be the two books considered authoritative on the subject. I have to find out what all I need as far as parts... apparently someone before me busted the guide tube and bracket that surrounds the elevating screw inside the main column and attaches to the bottom of the frame - and thought it'd be a grand idea to replace the parts with a piece of steel pipe and some rebar welded in place Took some cutting with a sawz-all and some abrasive grit blades to get that loose during the move...
                    All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

Working...