• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Snow Plow Recommendations

The tractor and snow blower combo are just too slow for the size of our driveway. Anyone have advice or recommendations? Obviously I want to spend as little money as possible without buying crap.

I know the one feature I want is easy on easy off since I don't want to drive around with a plow on the truck all winter. Other than that, I have no idea what to look for in a plow. It has to go on my wife's 2008 Sierra 1500 Crew cab since I'm certain one isn't made for my Hyundai Sonata.
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Snow plowing is very hard on the vehicle. If in the long run you want to save money buy a 4X4 that runs but is perhaps no longer road worthy and then put a plow on it. This will also save you from having to run all over plowing out people. On the other hand you could just do a Tim The Tool Man number on the tractor.

As to what plow to get, look for one that is sold locally to you. If you havent't uses a plow on a truck you are going to need some good advice and parts in the beginning.

Bill

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

How long is your driveway?

Ours was lengthened to about 95 ft., double wide, after they realigned the street. I have a Sears nine horsepower, dual action thrower that is quite adequate. It takes about a half-hour to do the driveway.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

The main driveway is 1/2 mile. We have about 300 feet additional, one neighbor has about 200 feet and the other about 900 feet. It takes about three hours to clear it with a 72" blower. I do everyone's if I'm home when it snows and the neighbors do the same.

The snowblower is also too big for the tractor I have and it's a wrestling match to keep it going in the right direction. It isn't too bad if we get a quick heavy snow, but when it snows constantly for three days, I'm on the tractor the whole time.
        Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
          Snow plowing is very hard on the vehicle. If in the long run you want to save money buy a 4X4 that runs but is perhaps no longer road worthy and then put a plow on it. This will also save you from having to run all over plowing out people. On the other hand you could just do a Tim The Tool Man number on the tractor.

As to what plow to get, look for one that is sold locally to you. If you havent't uses a plow on a truck you are going to need some good advice and parts in the beginning.

Bill
          Thanks Bill, buying locally is good advice. I've thought about a second truck, but don't want to deal with the additional maintenance and I don't have the space to store it.
          Chr's

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Originally posted by twistsol
            I do everyone's if I'm home when it snows and the neighbors do the same.
            I've thought about a second truck, but don't want to deal with the additional maintenance and I don't have the space to store it.
            Perhaps it's time for a neighborhood owned truck. Someone there must have some space and if several own it then the cost is down. If it's only used for snowplowing then the maintenance is much less, after all it only needs to run and have a working heater.

Bill
            always looking for ways for others to spend money or do more work......
            Last edited by Mr__Bill; 02-08-2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

The main driveway is 1/2 mile. We have about 300 feet additional, one neighbor has about 200 feet and the other about 900 feet. It takes about three hours to clear it with a 72" blower. I do everyone's if I'm home when it snows and the neighbors do the same.

The snowblower is also too big for the tractor I have and it's a wrestling match to keep it going in the right direction. It isn't too bad if we get a quick heavy snow, but when it snows constantly for three days, I'm on the tractor the whole time.
              Yikes! That IS a lot of snow to clear.

Maybe a bigger tractor. Pushing that snow won't be easy and you have to push it somewhere, although you probably have lots of space along the side of the drive.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

For what you'd spend on a plow, you could probably move to Florida...

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  For what you'd spend on a plow, you could probably move to Florida...
                  After this winter, that may be the most sound idea I've heard yet

I'm one of the crazies though that prefers winter to summer. I've never been able to handle heat above about 80 degrees. The biggest problem with snow is that you have to deal with it on nature's schedule; you can't let it sit until the weekend like you can with the lawn.
                  Chr's

Comment

Working...