X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jcrawf
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2009

After-market Laser for Miter Saw

I added a laser guide to my old 10" Ryobi miter saw last week. It's the best $20 I've spent lately. Perhaps other "newbies," like me, are unaware that this easy-to-install upgrade is available. I didn't find any reference to it in the archives.
    Link:

Jack
    Last edited by Jcrawf; 02-06-2010, 12:45 AM. Reason: Correcting Link
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Jack, how do that attact?

On the blade shaft? Interesting.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

While that replaces the arbor washer, that has several issues that most of the lasers do:

Not always visible in bright light
      Shows one SIDE of the blade (not the blade line or kerf line)
      Not very adjustable.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

they are available at most HDs for $29.99 all the time. +1 on previous comments regarding daylight and functionality.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Jcrawf
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2009

My apologies. Didn't realize I was recommending an inferior product.

Comment

• Larryl
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Lorena, TX, USA.
            • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Originally posted by Jcrawf
            I don't believe you were recommending an inferior product, we all have tools and methods that help us achieve our goals and enjoy our hobby of woodworking. I happen to like the laser guide on my Delta Drill Press, many others feel it is not that helpful.
            I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

H.F. also sells one,(96401) for (16.99). I have one on my miter saw and it works good.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• Eric
                • Jun 2003
                • Cocolalla, ID
                • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I have one on my CMS and liked it until the battery died, which I haven't bothered to replace. Like it better than the laser that came with my Ryobi 10" SCMS which is useless and impossible to adjust correctly.

Even though the laser that is linked doesn't show the cut I installed it on the side that I have my finished cuts anyway, so I would just line the laser to my cut mark and make the cut. My shops have always been inside and I've never had a problem with light making the laser hard to see.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

I like the one that came with my saw but the laser is on the opposite side of the blade from where I usually line up.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Not inferior at all. It works very well at doing what is possible for a retrofit. As said, only the outside of the blade line is shown. If your finished piece is on that side great, if the other then you have to learn just how wide the blade is to make the cut right the first time. One of the nice features is it comes on with the spinning of the blade, the DeWALT that I have used had a separate switch that I would forget to turn off. Not a biggie just eerie at night.

Like all the laser sights for spinning blades, it will shine through the gapes between the set teeth. so the light line is not perfect but off by the amount of set in the teeth. That is, the cut is into the line just a bit.

Bill

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

No apologies needed, just warning that lasers are more marketing, then necessity. It was either PC or Delta, that used to have a dual laser saw; one whose blade was sandwiched between lasers. That showed, EXACTLY where the blade would be. When I picked up my current (cheap) miter saw (closeout with a gift certificate, cost me $0) it has a laser. I use it outside at least as much as in (decks/porches, housework), and found the laser doesn't appear well in bright light. I also found on mine, it was WAY off, with no way to adjust included in the instructions. After getting it adjusted, I haven't used it since the power source for it died. I just use the old method of bringing the blade down to check it via your cutline. IMHO, a much better thing for a miter saw, would be a zero clearance insert (shows line and blade kerf). These are not to be found, but made. If you work outside, I think that you will prefer one of these.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've had one of those for years when they first came out... it was on a newly released Sears Craftsman miter saw, I looked at it at the store, and ordered "replacement parts" from the sears parts store and installed on my older miter saw.

The comments are pretty much correct - it only shows one side of the blades cut but if you are aware of that you can deal with it. I don't use it outside but always indoors so that 's not an issue. replaced one set of batteries so far.

i don't think its inferior, i think it works fine. I like gadgets - but probably 50% of the functionality can be had by simply lowering the blade to the wood with the motor off (unlike a TS where holding the wood to the blade only hits the lower bottom edge) you can align the teeth to a corsscut line quite accurately. The benefit comes when you don't have afull cross line to hit, then the laser draws the entire cross line to line up with your mark.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

Assuming your arbor's long enough, you could possibly use one on either side of the blade. I'm watching Nahm as I write this, and he just used his two-lasered miter saw.

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...