Maintenance, an hour well spent

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Salty
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 690
    • Akron, Ohio

    #1

    Maintenance, an hour well spent

    With all the threads lately about shims and trouble raising the blade, I decided it was time for a cleaning and lube. This is well worth the time invested. It now works like it did when new. Looks better too.
    I put it on the workbench and used the shop vac, crevice tool, old paint brush and an old toothbrush. Every tooth had a buildup of sawdust.
    Attached Files
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    Good work... It would probably behoove all of us to do what you've done...

    Comment

    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • 9562
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

      #3
      It's been about a year since I have done mine, probably needs it again...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

      Comment

      • cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • 4503
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

        #4
        Nice job.

        Also a reminder that, when lubricating the shim area, make sure you get all three sides (both surfaces that the shims ride on, and the back where the motor slides up/down.

        I had been only doing the two surfaces the shims are riding on and was struck at the improvement when I got that back surface, too.

        Comment

        • Salty
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 690
          • Akron, Ohio

          #5
          Originally posted by cgallery
          Nice job.

          Also a reminder that, when lubricating the shim area, make sure you get all three sides (both surfaces that the shims ride on, and the back where the motor slides up/down.

          I had been only doing the two surfaces the shims are riding on and was struck at the improvement when I got that back surface, too.

          I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'three' sides. Are you refering to the fact that one set of shims are like angle irons and have 2 flat surfaces?
          I did not disassemble anything. I just sprayed lube on the shim rub surfaces on the blade side and also on the motor side.
          Would it be a good idea to take it apart and clean it better? Like taking out the shims and cleaning all of those surfaces?
          Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

          Comment

          • cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • 4503
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

            #6
            Originally posted by Salty
            I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'three' sides.
            The surface I was missing was the motor's bearing surface.

            So I unplug the saw, remove the throat plate, and then the blade. Then I lower the motor all the way. Finally, I get a little dab of wax on my finger and I reach in through the top of the saw and wrap around the backside where the motor glides up and down and get that surface.

            I work the motor up and down to distribute the wax evenly.

            You probably already do that. But I wasn't getting that side and the motor glides much more smoothly now that I do.

            Comment

            • Salty
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 690
              • Akron, Ohio

              #7
              Oh, OK.
              Although you know there are 2 slide surfaces on the motor side as well.
              I'm not sure you can get to both of them from the top.
              Mine is still clean as I have not used it since setting it back on the stand.
              I am tempted to put it back on the workbench and take the slide mount apart and clean it as well.
              If I do, I will be sure to take a bunch of pictures.
              Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

              Comment

              • Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • 10490
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

                #8
                I am way overdue as well....
                Don, aka Pappy,

                Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

                Comment

                • Salty
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 690
                  • Akron, Ohio

                  #9
                  Well, I'm glad I did take it apart. Here are before and after shots.
                  I believe there is a little known fact about this saw that is not talked about. It makes sawdust. Where does this stuff hide? Every time I would move it there was more sawdust. I wasn't sure it made a difference if the shims were put back in the way they came out but I didn't want to take the chance.
                  I have 18 pictures that I took while doing this. If there is interest, I can post them with comments or I can answer questions as needed.

                  Salty
                  Attached Files
                  Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

                  Comment

                  • Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 6021
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

                    #10
                    I did mine about 2 months ago. You're right about time being well spent. It sure saves headaches if you neglect it.

                    Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                    For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                    Comment

                    Working...