• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

to the OP, is this actually like a sump or reservoir where the moving rods and connectors dip in the oil or the oil is pumped or splashed on those components when running?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JBergey

Scroll Saw

Hey there crybdr!

I also acquired the same saw recently and just today I went out a bought some Hydraulic Oil as it was the only thing that came close to the 10 weight in several stores that I could find.

I put in but haven't tested it out much since earlier today...I plan on getting back out there soon so I'll keep you posted.

Please do keep in touch as there are loads of part and tricks I hope to be able to share and acquire about this fine old piece of machinery.

Thanks-

JB

Comment

• Rich P
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Foresthill, CA, USA.
        • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Check out Old Woodworking Machinery (owwm.org or owwm.com). The folks there seem to have settled on air compressor oil. Key thing is non-detergent. Lowes carries it.

You will also want to drain and flush out the crankcase...it it probably full of goop, bits of old broken blades and so on.

I recently got the same saw and made good use of the expertise available at the owwm site. You can also obtain manuals and exploded parts diagrams for future reference, as well as determine when your machine was made via the Knowledge Wiki at their "mother ship" (owwm.com). If you have a specific question on the machine just post it and you will usually get an answer within 24 hours, often less.

Enjoy your new toy!
        Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• phi1l
          • Oct 2009
          • Madison, WI

I'm glad that got caught quickly.
          Never put motor oil in a gear case.
          Motor oils contain detergents that emulsify combustion products & keep them suspended so they can be removed & trapped in the filter.
          In a crank case or gear box detergent oil will keep the really fine stuff suspended in the oil where it will grind down the gears & bearings.

Comment

• crybdr
            Established Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Lake Mills, WI
            • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the comments. I did purchase some SAE-10 non-detergent oil from the local farm supply store.

I topped off what was already in the crankcase and the saw seems to run happily - it sounds like a sewing machine.

I eventually (maybe never) plan to drain the thing and refill entirely with the SAE-10 non-detergent. I'm curious to see what kind of chunks/bits are mixed in with the existing oil - from what I understand about the ownership history of this particular saw, it's likely the original oil.

There was a question about what the 'crankcase' was on this particular saw. I can best describe it as an oil filled volume below the table where the rotating input of the motor is turned into a vertical oscillating motion that pulls the blade downward against the resistance spring on the overhead arm. I haven't opened it up to look inside.

I'll post my experiences with this machine as they come for others on the forum that own it.

Comment

Working...