HF brad nails and compatibility with other brands.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fastfoodkills
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Saugus, CA
    • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

HF brad nails and compatibility with other brands.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone's tried regularly using the inexpensive Harbor Frieight brad nails in other brands of pneumatic nailers.

I did a quick test on a Hitachi 18 G brad nailer and it appears to be firing without jams, but wasn't sure if it would lead to a premature failure down the road. I ended up with several boxes of different sized brads after my HF gun with 4 whole hours on it went belly up and started misfiring.

I returned it and ordered a refurbished Hitachi NT32AE2 from Reconditioned Sales for around the same price ($30.00 - no tax or shipping). This unit appears to have a much better fit and finish and is Taiwanese made, opposed to the HF unit which is made in the so-called People's Republic.

Thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by fastfoodkills; 12-20-2009, 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
  • luteman
    Established Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Northern Michigan
    • BT3100-1

"Fast food kills" Then does slow food kill slowly?

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I wouldn't use HF brads, finish nails or staples in any gun that I own. I had some problems with the staples that came with one of my staplers and that was enough of a warning for me.

Comment

• kevincan
        Established Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Central Illinois
        • Craftsman 21829

I have a bunch of HF brad nails from when I had a HF nailer. I have been using them without any issues. They are all 1-13/16" and shorter.

After I got better nail guns I have been buying only name brand brads/nails. I don't think you save that much buying the HF brand.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

That is a good deal on the Hitachi. I have been wanting and keep putting off getting a framing nailer. I might have to check out recon sales. The HF is "good enough" for what I am going to use it for, but if I can get a Hitachi for the same $$, or just a few bucks more, on resale value alone, I would be stupid not to...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Brands of Brads...

I don't know about HF brads, but I have experienced some differences between PC and Bostich brads. It seems that the coating on the Bostich product holds better than the PC brand. I don't know if others are better or worse. I am using a Bostich 18 ga. nailer and have had no jams with the Bostich brads. I have used 5/8' through 2" brads.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• fastfoodkills
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2008
              • Saugus, CA
              • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Thanks for the tips. I stopped by the blue box and noticed that the Bostitch nails (18G) stated that they were for ALL 18 G brad nailers. Based upon the input some of you have given, it seems that the nails are generally compatible from brand to brand, but the quality varies on the adhesive. I'm just glad I'm not locked into a Hitachi brad. They're inventory of Hitachi brads was lacking...

Comment

• pecker
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003

I have a HF 18g brad nailer. I stocked up on Bostitch brand brads of various sizes, and used them in it.
                When I later bought a Porter Cable 18g nailer, I found that some of the Bostitch nails would not shoot from it. It turned out that PC offers a couple specific lengths for their nailer...other lengths don't work due to the design of the carriage where the nails rest.

Comment

• jhgrady
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Alexandria, Va, USA.

Tom,

Thanks for mentioning Reconditioned Sales, I've bought from them before. I just picked up a 2" 18G nailer for $35.00 delivered!

John

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i320.aspx

Comment

Working...