• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Assembling a Stanley 60 1/2

Can somebody please point me to basic instructions on assembling the Stanley 60 1/2?

I took it apart to sharpen the blade (after a long time!), and now I am unable to put it back together .

I know it was 'bevel up', but have tried it both ways; the blade just not stay beyond the sole of the plane - keeps a hair short. The best I could was to use the depth adjustment nut at the back to ease the blade forward so much that it actually closes the gap in the mouth to zero, but even then the blade is only flush with the sole - not much use as a plane!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Try this and see if it helps. Looks like page 12 on the pdf might help some.

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...94&action=view

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks Mike - that definitely helps! It names all the parts for me, and gives the information Stanley put out for this plane.

But so far as the actual placement of the cutter is concerned, I seem to have done just what they say should be - and yet am unable get the blade to surface beyond the sole. Evidently I am doing something wrong- darn if I know what!
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

It sounds like you have just sharpened the iron it's last time. There is not enough left to cut with.

Comment

• AlanWS
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Shorewood, WI.

The 60 1/2 has an adjustable mouth: the front handle loosens, allowing the front bit of the sole to slide forward and open the mouth. It sounds as if yours is adjusted to close the mouth too much.
          Alan

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Does the iron have several grooves which mate to the depth admuster? Did you try positioning it into a different groove?

JR
            JR

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

it worked!

I did think maybe I overdid the sharpening; and also checked the depth groove; but Alan's suggestion proved to be the thing : that adjustable mouth must have somehow moved closer; I was able to open it wider and get it to function much as it should!

thanks guys - learnt a lot about my little block plane today!
              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...