There is a drum sander at Harbor Freight?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Photojosh
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Washington (the state)

There is a drum sander at Harbor Freight?

How weird is this, did anyone know that HF has a drum sander of some sort? Nothing about it on the web.

I also didn't know that they had a 13" planer, a 7" jointer, or even a 3hp cabinet saw. Though while I shop at HF for a lot of stuff, I've gotta say that a cabinet saw wouldn't be something I would get from them. Probably not any of that other stuff either. At some price point, I'm not willing to deal with the HF quality control.

Though a cheap drum sander is really tempting....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Photojosh; 11-30-2009, 12:31 AM.
  • pacwind3
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Vancouver, WA
    • Bosch 4100

I went and looked for it on their sight and can't find it by item number. Weird cause I would like one too and have some money coming my way to get it.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

A mystery's afoot...

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I've seen it in the latest HF flyers I believe...

The cabinet saw, and 13" planer aren't something I would be interested in, BUT...

For the money, I would skip the 7" jointer, and go for the 8".
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Photojosh
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by dbhost
          I've seen it in the latest HF flyers I believe...
          Yeah, that's where it came from. If I ever found one to inspect in a store, I might just consider buying it with a 20% coupon and just taking a chance. But mailorder at full price just isn't something I'm willing to try. As I have made clear in the past, I'm not a Harbor Freight hater by any means. But I think the best way to buy from them is to go to the store and at least open the box real quick and give your purchase a visual inspection.

Originally posted by dbhost
          For the money, I would skip the 7" jointer, and go for the 8".
          I'm guessing that you are just speaking in general terms about jointer size, and I would agree. Or does HF have a 8" jointer hidden around somewhere? I thought ti was weird enough that they had a 7". After all, why make a 7" jointer at all? What a weird size.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I have the 7" jointer. As near as I can tell t's exactly like the 6" jointer, except it goes to eleven.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Cubsfan
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • CO.

I saw one of those in the store and was wondering how it is. Anyone have any experience with it? The drum sander I mean.

Comment

• Photojosh
                Established Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by Cubsfan
                I saw one of those in the store and was wondering how it is. Anyone have any experience with it? The drum sander I mean.
                Interesting to know that at least on HF store has it in stock. I guess I'll have to call the local store up and see if they do as well. I've been meaning to head down and finally get myself into the "2hp dust collector" club anyway.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

That flier does say HarborFreight.com but as you fellows said, it is not there. However, that number IS "recognized" at the other HF website: HFUSA.

www.harborfreight.com (The online order web site)
                  and
                  www.harborfreightusa.com (The web site for retail store items)

There was a small discussion of sorts on the two web sites at this post:
                  http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ghlight=Harbor

Uncle Cracker mentioned that the HFUSA was the retail store arm and that is the site that recognizes the number.

"www.harborfreight.com" says "The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued"

"www.harborfrieghtusa.com" says "This item is not currently available for display." (At least the number is recognized in the system.)

I will certainly be interested in the sander when I get back Stateside!
                  Last edited by leehljp; 12-01-2009, 06:32 AM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Photojosh
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Washington (the state)

Well my local HF doesn't have it in stock and says the drum sander is a 'special order' item (at least for that particular store). The good news is that this means you can typically use the 20% off coupon. But the bad news is that you can't see it before you buy it. Though I assume you can still return it straight to the store if something is wrong with it.

But I'm not willing to buy something this expensive from HF sight unseen without at least some reports from others as to its quality. So I guess it's back to the belt sander for me. If someone else buys one, or even inspects it in the store, I'm sure many people would be interested in hearing about it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

That looks exactly like the used Ryobi drum sander I just got--except mine is
                      a 16", not 10". If you don't like, they have a pretty liberal return policy.

Comment

• Al R.
                        Established Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • Florida.
                        • Delta 36-600

Originally posted by Photojosh
                        How weird is this, did anyone know that HF has a drum sander of some sort? Nothing about it on the web.

I also didn't know that they had a 13" planer, a 7" jointer, or even a 3hp cabinet saw. Though while I shop at HF for a lot of stuff, I've gotta say that a cabinet saw wouldn't be something I would get from them. Probably not any of that other stuff either. At some price point, I'm not willing to deal with the HF quality control.

Though a cheap drum sander is really tempting....
                        Like 7 yrs ago I bought a 10 “ table saw from HF similar item to the one they have now ITEM 46813-6VGA , 3 months after I gave it to a friend for free. Not worthy.

I have a jointer 6” from them, a DC, a BS and a Lathe and they’ve been good enough so far.
                        "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases"....it happens the same with a big shop.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

The 8" jointer is item #32966. My local HF had a few last year, but none now. They were on the web site as recently as early November (www.harborfreight.com) and are still on the other one...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...