• Show
Clear All
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

80 Tooth 10" Blade

I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best blade. I've been looking at reviews and it seems that the person making the review is bias. I've seen that the Crafstman is highly rated but my dewalt has lasted a long time. I only use it when you should (which is allot for me) and don't have anyone here that I trust to resharpen.

Any help would be appreciated. Tired of looking online and know you guys will have a logical answere.
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Cork - How much are you looking to spend, and what do you plan to cut most?
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

And for what tool?

EDIT: My one that I use is both CMS and TS capable, but gets left on the CMS. Freud LU85R010.
      Last edited by LinuxRandal; 11-28-2009, 10:27 PM.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I only use a carbide tipped 80 tooth for some mouldings and thin wood veneers.

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

Sorry for being so vage last night, just tired. What you can't read my mind? The saw is BT3000, The stock is thin Maple, Oak, and other hardwoods. Trouble is my 60 tooth is getting dull and starting to burn the wood. I just thought an 80 tooth would be better. More teeth smoother cut. Not so? Price is not really a factor because I don't replace a blade all that often and have learned that inexpensive is usually not the best deal. Maybe I should stay with a 60 tooth?

Thanks
          Cork,

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by cork58
            Sorry for being so vage last night, just tired. What you can't read my mind? The saw is BT3000, The stock is thin Maple, Oak, and other hardwoods. Trouble is my 60 tooth is getting dull and starting to burn the wood. I just thought an 80 tooth would be better. More teeth smoother cut. Not so? Price is not really a factor because I don't replace a blade all that often and have learned that inexpensive is usually not the best deal. Maybe I should stay with a 60 tooth?

Thanks

I only use an 80T on rare occasions. A good sharp 60T is a very good all around blade. For very thick stock or ripping you might have blades with 50T down to 24T. But you are finding out that dull or gummed up blades are inferior no matter how many teeth they have.

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If you were happy with the results you were getting, why not just have your 60T blade sharpened? Even the worst quality blades should be able to be sharpened at least once.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by cork58

Thanks
                If all other parameters are equal, 80T will have a cleaner cut but will also pose more resistance to the saw, meaning a slower cuts, more bogging, and more tendency to burn....never a free lunch. Cuts from an 80T blade will still need some attention before being finish ready, so I'm not sure it's a great tradeoff from the broader cutting range and increased feedrate of a good 60T blade (aka versatility), though it's still a reasonable choice if it suits your needs.

One of favorites is the Infinity 010-060 60T Hi-ATB TK blade. It has a steep 30° Hi-ATB bevel for very clean plywood and hardwood crosscuts, a 5° positive hook angle so it can rip respectably efficiently to ~ 5/4". It's parameters make it compatible with a TS, CMS, RAS, or SMCS, plus it'll kick butt as a plywood blade. Very clean cutting blade with great versatility. On sale for $50.

The Freud LU88R010 is also a really good 60T TK blade. It has an ATB grind and a 15° hook, so it's not quite as clean in plywood and crosscuts as the Infinity 010-060, but it'll rip more efficiently. Still a really nice clean cutting blade with really good versatility.

The Freud LU74R010 is a straight forward traditional ATB 80T TK crosscutter that'll also do well in plywood...excellent ply and crosscut blade, limited versatility.

Freud also makes the LU79R010 80T Hi-ATB blade....superior ply and crosscut blade, limited versatility.

Holbren has 20% off their new CMT offerings...some good choices there too.
                Last edited by Knottscott; 12-04-2009, 02:39 PM. Reason: clarification
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• machinistchest

I find that if my raidial arm is out of aligment it tends to burn the wood usually results from kick back. The blade must be lined up in such a way that it goes straight (dead nuts)thru the cut. If the blade gets sap build up I spray it a bit with easy-off and take a cut . Now I have a unclogged cutting blade.

MC

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

I have used both 60 tooth and 80 tooth on my BT3K with good results with both. Frued brand for both.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Your choice of blade also depends on what other tools you have in your workshop besides the table saw and what tool you use for what. When I started - BT3100 was the only real saw I had and I used it for everything. At that time I used a 60-tooth blade for crosscutting often. Later I got a CMS in addition to a table saw. Now I have a 100-tooth 12" blade in CMS do all the crosscuts. There are 3 blades that I use in BT3100 now. 24-teeth rip blade is used for ripping (Freud), 32-teeth rip blade is my joinery blade (B&D but made in UK, surprisingly decent blade for the money) and 80-tooth blade is used for plywood (Avanti by Freud made in Italy).
                      BTW - a recent issue of FW (winter 2009 issue) has an advice on page 44 to use rip blade for joinery cuts instead of a combination blade. It's about time - I have been using 32-tooth for joinery for awhile. I also don't use combination blade any more - this is a benefit of having another saw for crosscutting.
                      Alex V

Comment

• cork58
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                        • BT3000

Alex,

Well I finally made the switch to 2 saws today. I bought another BT3000 a few years ago just in case I needed some parts. Paid the guy $50.00 because it needed belts and he had it apart in boxes. I allways keep a spare set so today I put it together! Allt the parts were there even the screws! Now I have a Freud Glue Line LM74R010 30 tooth for ripping and a 40 to 60 tooth for crosscutting.
                        Attached Files
                        Cork,

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Nobody else has mentioned this yet, but is your blade clean?

I was starting to get some burning, and really unacceptable crosscuts from my Freud Diablo 40T blade that had been nearly flawless when new. I took it off and looked it over to see LOTS of gunk built up on and around the teeth. I gave it a good bath in the Rockler bit and blade cleaner, scrubbed it down with an old toothbrush and all. Works like a champ again!

I get good crosscuts, and excellent rips with the 40T on the BT. I have an 80T Freud Diablo in the CMS and get flawless cuts with it.

You can spend more on a blade for sure, and I know I haven't used them all, but I have used...

Freud Diablo
                          Irwin
                          Oshlun
                          DeWalt
                          Ridgid

and of those blades, my favorites are the Freud Diablos.

I do still really like my Oshlun dado though, but that is a different subject all together...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...