• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Ques. about Foot Switch Control

My table saw has a hard to find switch. I'm thinking of leaving it constantly on and using the HF Foot Switch to actually control it off and on by installing it between my saw and the outlet. My question,

"Can I use this with the induction motor on my Delta saw without causing any problems to the motor?"

I know that induction motors can't be used with the router speed control and wondered if there is any problem in the aforementioned scenario. Here's a link to the HF Foot Switch:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96618

Thanks.
    Richard
    Richard
  • phi1l
    • Oct 2009
    • Madison, WI

Originally posted by phrog
    My table saw has a hard to find switch. I'm thinking of leaving it constantly on and using the HF Foot Switch to actually control it off and on by installing it between my saw and the outlet. My question,

"Can I use this with the induction motor on my Delta saw without causing any problems to the motor?"

I know that induction motors can't be used with the router speed control and wondered if there is any problem in the aforementioned scenario. Here's a link to the HF Foot Switch:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96618

Thanks.
    Richard
    I've never used one of these, but it seemes to be just a simple on/off switch & doesn't mess with the the voltage or current. The manual doen't say to not use it with induction motors. So it should b fine.

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

that switch is only rated for 15 amps. if the motor draws over 12 I don't think the switch will last very long. I would make up a switched receptacle using a motor rated switch and plug the saw into it.
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• AlanWS
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Shorewood, WI.

That one is a 15 amp switch. Most tablesaws draw more power. There is also a question of accidentally turning on the saw, so if you do use this, it might be a good idea to turn off the main switch too at the end of the workday. You might also want to consider whether a paddle switch might be mounted in a convenient spot.

This paddle switch can handle most saws, and if mounted where you can hit it with your knee to turn it off can be very convenient:
        http://grizzly.com/products/110-220V...f-Switch/H8243
        Last edited by AlanWS; 11-21-2009, 01:58 PM.
        Alan

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's two kind of foot switches, the step-on, step-off and the step and hold for on, release for off kind. The HF is the step-on, step-off.

I don't recommend using these switches. To use and feed materials on a TS you need to keep balance on your feet - both feet on the ground. This is especially important since when feeding materials you often change your center of balance. With the switch you will either need to keep a foot poised over the switch for emergencies or lift you foot and feel for the switch. In either case, you'll be giving up your balance when you need it most. You cannot change center of balance with one foot off the ground ready to step on a switch and your hands feeding a piece of wood into a spinning blade.

I tried it - its a no-go.

Here's an old discussion on this:
          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ht=foot+switch
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-21-2009, 02:28 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Loring's point is a good one... You do not want to be dealing with your work on top of the saw, and at the same time tap-dancing around looking for a foot switch. Your visual attention will be drawn away from what your hands are doing, and toward the floor instead. And the switch will be a trip hazard even when you don't need it. Good balance and footing is important.

Look instead for a paddle switch that you can mount under your forward rail, in whatever location is convenient. You can shut down the saw with your hand, your knee, or even bump it off with your hip. Much safer solution...

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Some good points have been made. Other than turning the saw on by mistake, turning it off in the middle of a cut can be a possibility. A floor switch would likely be a dust collector, and get kicked around to some unintended location.

Comment

• Woody
                Established Member
                • May 2003
                • USA.

I agree with Loring. I would not feel safe using a foot switch. Just my 2 cents.
                Michael
                Central Virginia

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in boat and drink beer all day."

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

I agree w/ Woody and Loring. Too much of a safety concern. Get one of the switches from Rockler or Sears and mount it to the rails where you can hit it w/ your hand or your hip.

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks to one and all for your advice. I will certainly take it into consideration before making any modifications to my machine.
                    Richard
                    Richard

Comment

Working...