X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Craftsman Bandsaw?

I am thinking about getting this. I read somewhere its like the Hitachi Bandsaw that Lowes closed out a few yrs ao. The owner said its just surface rust and he replaced the trunnion a week ago cause it broke while he was trying to move it to put it on a mobile base. Any comments or experience with this model would be appreciated. Also is this a good price?,..http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/tls/1472289670.html
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

sears used that "1 HP maximum developed" crap which is really about 1/2 HP so don't let that fool you into thining you have a really powerful BS. But 1/2 HP is probably about right for a 12" bandsaw.

something to do with stall current vs. maximum rated continuous running current.

All rust is surface rust, isn't it? What the heck rusts from the inside out? even the roller guide post looks rusted to heck. I don't know that i'd give $125 for a saw that looks like its been left outside in the elements. Lot of clean up to do. Broken trunion = mistreatment (dropped?) And he says $125 firm....

A 12" bandsaw like that with a cast iron frame will probably take a 5.5-6" resaw and up to 1/2" blade. Limited clearance of 12" not a whole lot less than a 14" which is very popular size for WW. I have a 12" Delta which is similar and it does most of what I ask it to.

The very popular 14" cast iron frame BS models run 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 HP (depending upon make and model) and 6" rewsaw with the option to go to 12" with an optional riser.

I'd offer $75 citing the effort to clean it up and pending a chance to test it and make sure nothing is frozen (i.e. motor runs and wheels turn freely).
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-19-2009, 09:16 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Hoover
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • USA.

That saw looks similar to my Jet 12" band saw. The HP rating of 1 hp is bogus, it's a 1/2 hp motor.
      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...