• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve_b
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Belt tension system for band saw base

I am currently building a mobile base for a band saw. The band saw is a 40/50's vintage 14" 'Beaver" (Delta?) that I purchased with no motor or base (not quite true - it had a spindly wood 'stand' with a 1/3hp motor nailed to the wood)..
    I am looking for suggestions as to mounting the motor and creating a belt tension system. I have a small table saw (not currently using) that I got from from my grandfather that used the motor weight for belt tension - I always found that this vibrated (even with careful alignment of the pulley)
    Since I have a 1hp motor to go into this 'base' would the pivot and weight system be the best way - or some form of fixed mount?
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

I am about to change over a stand to a homemade stand. I plan to just slot some plywood for the motor to mount on. Sliding the motor on the slots to tighten the belt.

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would think you want some kind of slotted carrier to adjust and lock the tension.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...