Clear All
  • vtv010
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Dallas, Tx
    • bt3100-1

119.224010 blade guide ballbearings

Hi,
    Does anyone know what model is used for upper and lower ones, looks like my lower are gone to ballbearing grave. I do not think OEM are good bearings, grase leaked out pretty fast.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the trouble with a post like this is that the number is obscure, I would assume from my working knowledge that its a craftsman power tool number and you are talking about a bandsaw. Others would not have a clue. If they did have some C'man bandsaw knowledge then they might have to look up the number. Everyone is busy, few will look it up. You'll get more responses if you describe the bandsaw (size, construction type?) and maybe better, post a picture.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by vtv010
      Hi,
      Does anyone know what model is used for upper and lower ones, looks like my lower are gone to ballbearing grave. I do not think OEM are good bearings, grase leaked out pretty fast.
      Take the bearings to a bearing supply house (Bearings Inc, etc). They will be able to provide a better quality replacement bearing at a price that will likely be lower than the OEM bearing.

[Edit] The bearing shop will be able to provide replacement bearings based on the bearing you bring in - they do not need the part number.
      Last edited by woodturner; 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM. Reason: Edit: additional information
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• luteman
        Established Member
        • Dec 2007
        • Northern Michigan
        • BT3100-1

What Woodturner said. Check your local yellow pages under "bearings".

Comment

• vtv010
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • Dallas, Tx
          • bt3100-1

Thank you, i will check for a local shop. Just in case this is Craftsman Professional 14" bandsaw.

Comment

• charliex
            • Mar 2004
            • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
            • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Bearings ain't cheap but I am. I have the same saw and the same problem. If you have a drill press, carefully drill a small hole in the cap that covers the balls being careful to not drill too deep (you'll break the bit). Inject a thin lube (WD40) to flush out the junk. Put a bolt through the bearing and run a nut up tight. Then chuck the end of the bolt in the DP and turn it on while holding on to the outer race. Keep flushing and spinning till it is turning freely. Then you can force a small amount of light grease in through the hole. A small syringe works well. I have done this to all of the bearings on mine and so far they work fine. If you decide to replace them, opt for a better bearings the extra cost is well worth it.

Chas

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I think these bearings are shielded and not sealed. I have the smaller 10" saw and have had to replace a couple of those. On mine, all guide bearings are the same. You might look at this place.
              Bearings Online, shopping by VXB ball bearings the online bearing store and supplier, wholesale prices and same day shipping, next day air shipping available. The Ball Bearing Supplier & Distributor

I have bought a few times from them and they have good prices and good service as well as selection.

You have to know the OD and ID and thickness. That is easy to get with calipers.
              Lee

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by charliex
                Bearings ain't cheap but I am.
                I am a woodworker, and I am cheap. <hangs head, sits down>. Group says "thank you for sharing, Woodturner".

I'm with you - maybe we should start a 12-step group

However, time is worth something, too, and bearings are, in my opinion, surprisingly inexpensive. I have not priced these particular bearings in a while, but they were something like $2.89 at Bearings Inc. a few years back. For $3, I would personally just replace them - even though I am cheap.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

I meant to say that I would replace with sealed bearings, but somehow skipped over that part. If you are noticing bearings, then some of the original tolerances are gone now. They might work for a while relubed, but with the little cost, replacement is best, especially once you have to remove the old one anyway. just stick a new one on there. I bought a pack of 10 bearings for my metal cutting bandsaw for like $16 from VXB. Sealed too.
                  Lee

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

I know for Grizzly saws users often mention getting roller skate bearings at a local skating rink, or eBay, for cheap. They say they last forever compared to the stock bearings. Although, I don't know if the Grizzly bearings and the Craftsman bearings would be the same size.

Comment

• vtv010
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Dallas, Tx
                      • bt3100-1

looks like the original bearings are ABEC-5 608ZZ, these are shielded, 22mm od, 8mm id and 7mm thick. I ordered a set from ebay, $12.90 for a set of 10, ABEC-7 - greater tolerances and soppose to be able to re-lube by removing shields easily. In a few days, i'll know how they fit. These were rollerskate bearings.

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

At that cost, who needs sealed? Just slap another one in there.
                        Lee

Comment

• vtv010
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Dallas, Tx
                          • bt3100-1

forgot to mentioned, this is delivered. I was considering sealed, but these have rubber seals, i did not feel secure enough with rubber shiels on a woodworking machine. Also, these shields have more friction. So, i ruled those out.

Comment

• vtv010
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Dallas, Tx
                            • bt3100-1

ABEC-7 608ZZ worked

Comment

Working...