1950's Atlas Press Table Saw - worth it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Westex93
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2004
    • Springtown, TX, USA.

1950's Atlas Press Table Saw - worth it?

I'm fighting the urge to pick up this old Atlas Press Model 3060 saw locally. Needs a motor, plenty of obvious clean up and who knows what else. I'm a little torn - I know they make old steel like this these days, but I don't want to fall into the trap of getting an old money pit/paperweight either just because it's old. Anybody know anything about these saws?

The owner just wants $50, but $50 is an expensive yard ornament.

Here's more pics if you're interested:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I've heard of folks taking old saws like these, gutting the mechanicals and having the top modified to take a router plate, or just drilling out the top and mounting the router directly to it. For $50, it may be worth considering for that. Looks like the fence may be a Jetlock or something similar. May be worth the money for the fence and the wings.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Isn't it worth $50 in scrap alone? Something to consider if the project doesn't work out.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

I really like the lines on those.

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

The best place to find this answer is http://www.owwm.com
          Last edited by Hoover; 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM. Reason: omitted :
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Westex93
            Forum Newbie
            • May 2004
            • Springtown, TX, USA.

Thanks for the link, Hoover. Just set up an account over there.

Comment

• just started
              • Mar 2008
              • suburban Philly

Looks like it needs a LOT of work (elbow grease type) and you can expect it to need some parts (at the least all bearings) replaced just to get to a user state, even more of both to do a full restore. The suggestion to look at OWWM is a good one, but be aware they don't allow discussions about the price of a machine that is on the market, or even the mention of ebay or craig's listings. They do have an extensive parts for sale/wanted area which you have to register (free) to access, called 'Bring out your Dead', and you can get an idea of what replacement parts will cost and how available they are. The discussion boards are at the .org portion site, you may find pix and manuals for that specific machine on the .com portion of the site.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

even if you fixed it up would you want to use it as your primary saw? I'm guessing not. Then it will be a big space hog...
                I think i would pass unless i had a huge hard on for some old iron.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

For me, it would come down to time and space. I have very little of both. I love the idea of restoring something like that, but if I had the time to do that, I would spend the time actually building something with the TS I have.

Just my two cents.
                  Joe

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

For some people the thrill of resurrecting old arn and bringing it back to life is a passion. Then again some see it as a rusting hulk. If you have the time and space it could be a fun project.

Anyway I'm going relax enjoying some brews, as it's my birthday.
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...