Router Opinions, Ryobi RE180PL or something else?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

Router Opinions, Ryobi RE180PL or something else?

I am in the market for a new router, I currently have two Craftsman routers that have served me well but I am limited with the 1/4 inch collet and want to upgrade to the 1/2 inch. I have looked at just about every router I can find and since I really like my Ryobi tools (BT3000, scroll saw, 18v Lithium kit) I thought I would give the RE180PL a look. I have read that this router is a good beginning router, although I am no master woodworker, I wouldn't say I was a beginner either. Does anyone have any opinions on this router? Is it worth the extra $100 to upgrade to a Porter Cable or DeWalt?

Any input would be great.

Dave
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I am not familiar with that router, but I did have a Ryobi R161K that I sold to a friend that still uses it regularly. Good router for the $$...

I replaced it with a Hitachi KM12VC from Amazon. This is a great router and can be had for cheap watching Amazon sales...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I'm not familiar with the Ryobi model, can't really comment on that.

My first router was a craftsman fixed base 1/4" collet too. When I finally decided to upgrade to a 1/2" capability I ended up spending more money than I initally planned. I'm really glad I did though. I got a pretty decent deal on the Dewalt 618 package with the three bases. It has been very nice. It gets mostly used in my router table extension on my saw. At first I had the fixed base connected to a custom plate for my accessory table. I later made a bigger extension and added a Jessem router liftFX. You wouldn't be able to swap the motor of the Ryobi into a lift or a D-handle base.
      Erik

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Here is a good price on a Milwaukee 1.75 hp multi base router kit from Amazon At $104 and free shipping you can't beat the deal. If you want the more powerfull 2.25 hp router try this one It's $130 more but if you watch it may go on sale for a more reasonable price.

I know nothing about the Ryobi RE180PL but I have had two of the 1/4" cheap ones and regretted both purchases, they never locked tight to hold the depth. I expect the newer ones have fixed that problem.

If you do mostly hand held routing check out the grip on the Milwaukee you can hold it and thumb the power switch on and off with one hand and it has a flat top to make changing bits easier. Comes with two real wrenches and both collets.

Bill, thinking he should get commissions....

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

I have a Bosch 1617EVSPK mounted in a table with a JessEm lift and a Craftsman 17543 for non-table use. I bought both as kits that include fixed and plunge bases. Both have 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets. They also feature "soft start" and the Craftsman has an LED worklight built in.

I have been completely happy with both and would recommend them for your consideration. Which ever model you choose, definitely get one with 1/2 in capabilities.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

• headhunter636
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Federal Way, WA
            • Ryobi BT 3000

Thanks for all of the input, it looks like there are plenty of options. Has anyone tried out the Ridgid plunge/fixed router combo? With the lifetime warranty, it seems like it may be a good deal.

I have been happy with my Craftsman routers but as with a lot of Craftsman products, they have those little proprietary features that limit the use of other brands of accessories.

I have been looking at the DeWalt combos for a while, I just never pulled the trigger and bought one. That also goes for the Porter Cable combos as well.

I will have to give the Milwaukee and Hitachi a look as well.

Thanks again,
            Dave
            Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I don't know a thing about Ryobi routers. I do know that whenever I see a discussion about quality routers, Ryobi's name seldom, if ever, is mentioned. Another brand name you might want to take a look at is Freud.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

My view is similar to sweensdv's. There are so many great choices that are likely to be better routers than the Ryobi. Lots of them go on sale at great prices. PC, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Freud, Triton, Ridgid. If the router is primarily for hand use, it's important to get one that feels good in your hands. If it's primarily for a router table, it's nice to have good above table features like those on the Freud FT1700.

Definitely look into the Milwaukee 5615-24 kit for $104 shipped. That's a great price on a very nice single speed router that's built like a tank. The Body Grip is a nice feature and the plunger is excellent. Great router for hand use, and has a strong motor for table use if you don't need to reduce RPM's....you can add a speed controller to it if needed. (FWIW, Milwaukee is the top line from TTI...Ryobi's parent company)

The Hitachi M12VC & KM12VC represent excellent value on sale...quiet, well balanced, light, variable speed.

Find a deal on one you like.
                Last edited by Knottscott; 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Eric
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Cocolalla, ID
                  • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I've got two of the RE180PL routers. I bought the first one from Home Depot and used it mostly in the router table in the bt3100.

I bought the second one from Cummins tools or whatever they're called now. Took the springs out of that one and mounted it into the table. Lots easier to do height adjustments.

I've been happy with mine, been able to do anything that I've wanted to do with them.

Comment

• Brian G
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                    • G0899

I have and use the RE180PL. It is the first router I purchased (back in 2003). I like it, and use it often for hand-held use. At one point, it was my workhorse until I purchased a Milwaukee 5625 for table use.

What I like about the RE180PL:
                    -Variable speed
                    -It can handle larger diameter bits, but I wouldn't try bits greater than 2" diameter because the speed doesn't go low enough
                    -Solid plunge action, meaning that it doesn't have sloppy springs
                    -The handles are comfortable to me
                    -One wrench bit changes

What I don't like about the RE180PL:
                    -The depth control knob is optional. This is important if you ever intend to use it in a table
                    -You will need an after market sub-base in order to use Porter Cable style guide bushings
                    -It does a great job scattering dust

Overall, I will call it a good option for a first router, but it's not the most versatile option available.
                    Brian

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I've had a Porter Cable for years. Managed to drop it many times and it still runs like new. You can buy the standard base model at Lowes for around $139. There is also a plunge base and a D-handle base available for this PC 690 model. It come with both a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch collet. I will probably buy another just like it when I finally manage to break this one.
                      Richard
                      Richard

Comment

• thestinker
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I have a cabinet maker friend who uses nothing but the PC 690s. I just bought this http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP...2759060&sr=8-1

So far I love it. I have used it in a table and free-hand and and don't regret spending the money on it in the least little bit. I was using a very old and underpowdered B&D. Its amazing how much easier using a router was once I bought that one.

Riley
                        Last edited by thestinker; 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM.
                        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

Working...