• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Moving a Cabinet Saw

The movers come tomorrow. I've removed the fence rails (stripped the head of a phillips head screw that had to be drilled) but I'm wondering whether I should remove the cast iron extension tables. It's a PITA to do that but I'm afraid that they'll warp if the movers lift and carry the saw by the accessory tables instead of by the main table.

Any thoughts?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It might be wise to remove them, but I doubt that they would "warp" if lifted by them. I've moved a few saws in my days, both Unisaws and PM's, with the wings attached. To tell ya the truth, the darn saws are pretty heavy to lift, IMO. I walk 'em up on a dolly, roll them to the truck, and rock them over on a teeter board, and slide them in. You could also use a makeshift ramp to the bed height if there is no liftgate, and push it up. Coming out is the same, but reversed (of course), but, then you got gravity on your side.

If you leave them on, they may get bumped, or worse yet, dropped over on one and with that you could have some damage. If you're at all concerned, take them off.

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanks for the advice, Cab.

Comment

• AlanZ
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2008

I would certainly removed the wings.

I just did so when moving a Grizzly G1023s into my shop. It makes it lighter, easier to maneuver, and gets through most doorways (an issue in my basement shop)

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by jackellis
          Thanks for the advice, Cab.

What did you ultimately do?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Any other tips or tricks for moving (marking the wings so they line back up easier, removing motor, etc) that you would recommend?

(IF I ever move, I am moving myself, as I certainly didn't get help the last time )
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Left the tables on. They loaded the saw on its mobile base but they won't be able to do that when they unload the saw because it has to be taken down a slope to the ground floor shop. I don't want my tools taken through the house. Too much risk that the floor will be damaged, even though this crew was very professional and did a great job loading.

There was a little mishap removing the rails for the fence (Jet saw). I managed to strip out the head of a screw and then had to drill the sucker out. Now I have to find me a 6 mm 1 1/4" (32mm?) replacement screw. Orchard Supply carries metric fasteners, so homefully I'll be able to pick one up on Monday when I move the airplane.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

If you have a real hardware store in your area, might be of help. I have a few locally that carry a myriad of metric. If worse comes to worse, you could tap out the hole and use SAE. That would be the last resort for me. Is Orchard a local store for you?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

If you can't find it local, or need other things (especially due to the move) you might be wise to order the screw/etc. from Mcmaster Carr.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    If you can't find it local, or need other things (especially due to the move) you might be wise to order the screw/etc. from Mcmaster Carr.

Yeah, they will just throw one in an envelope and mail it to him. It may be tough not having to get a minimum order.

Comment

• Rich P
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                      • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Over at OWWM there are a lot of posts (Discussion Form->The Shop) about transporting these puppies. If it were me (a new owner of a very used Powermatic 66), I'd remove them and the motor as well. Several of the posts as OWWM mention that. They also talk about flipping 'em over on their top to transport (since they are a bit top heavy anyway). Congrats on the move and enjoy the lake.
                      Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jackellis
                        Left the tables on. They loaded the saw on its mobile base but they won't be able to do that when they unload the saw because it has to be taken down a slope to the ground floor shop. I don't want my tools taken through the house. Too much risk that the floor will be damaged, even though this crew was very professional and did a great job loading.

There was a little mishap removing the rails for the fence (Jet saw). I managed to strip out the head of a screw and then had to drill the sucker out. Now I have to find me a 6 mm 1 1/4" (32mm?) replacement screw. Orchard Supply carries metric fasteners, so homefully I'll be able to pick one up on Monday when I move the airplane.
                        probably 6mm x 30mm, they tend to make those lengths in 5 or 10mm increments.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...