JET bandsaw tension release

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jonmulzer
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 946
    • Indianapolis, IN

    #1

    JET bandsaw tension release

    Is Carter my only choice here? No doubt that what they make is high quality, but I don't think it is $150 worth. I really hate to pay that kind of money for something so simple. I have heard of people adapting the Grizzly tension release from the G0555 to the HF, does that work for other models? Do I have any other options to consider?
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • LCHIEN
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2002
    • 22085
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

    #2
    Originally posted by jonmulzer
    Is Carter my only choice here? No doubt that what they make is high quality, but I don't think it is $150 worth. I really hate to pay that kind of money for something so simple. ...
    especially if you only paid $100 for the saw, eh?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-21-2009, 04:37 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

    Comment

    • Stan
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2004
      • 966
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

      #3
      I did the 'order the parts for the G0555 from Grizzly' and put them on my Jet JWBS-14.

      Popeye documented the mod on his HF 14 bandsaw (the frames are virtually identical -- we got together and compared measurements between the HF and Jet) here... http://bt3gallery.cpu-etc.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1685

      The information on the parts needed is buried in the forums here, try the following link: Be sure to read through the entire thread as there was a change in part numbers after some initial orders were made.

      http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...tension&page=2

      I believe total parts from Grizzly came to around $30 including shipping.

      Hope that helps.
      Last edited by Stan; 08-20-2009, 11:57 PM.
      From the NW corner of Montana.
      http://www.elksigndesigns.com

      Comment

      • luteman
        Established Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 145
        • Northern Michigan
        • BT3100-1

        #4
        I have had my Craftsman band saw(made by King-Seely) for 40 years and have never had to release the tension except to change blades. It tracks perfectly every time I turn it on. My only add-on has been the excellent Kreg precision fence and resaw guide. I think tension release gizmos are the result of heavy hype by one or two bandsaw gurus.

        Comment

        • jonmulzer
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 946
          • Indianapolis, IN

          #5
          While I appreciate your input, tension releases just make sense to me. It is not good on the tension spring to be compressed 24/7/365 and the same goes for the blade. The bandsaw I have now is worlds ahead of the 10" Ryobi I put on craigslist last night, but even it shows stretch in the blade if I forget to release the tension. For $30, I will go for it.

          And Loring, you are right. If I had paid $400 for it I would not have thought twice about adding Carter tension release and probably roller guides. Since I paid $100, I am going as cheap as I can! I stopped by Woodcraft the other day and picked up Cool Blocks, urethane tires (the ones on it are SHOT!) and a couple of other odds and ends and it came up to $120. More than I bought it for! And I still need to get a rip fence for it. Is KREG the best there is or would the JET that came optional on this saw be a better choice?
          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

          Comment

          • LCHIEN
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2002
            • 22085
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

            #6
            I have the early Mark Duginske fence which is now the Kreg BS fence with a few positive changes. I like it but never used another for comparison but I think its better than the optional OEM fences. It has the micro adjust which is nice and some resawing curved fence attachments. There goes another $100-125 on your $100 bandsaw!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

            Comment

            • Charlie
              Banned
              • Jul 2009
              • 210

              #7
              Deleted by me.
              Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 08:52 AM.

              Comment

              • jonmulzer
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 946
                • Indianapolis, IN

                #8
                Originally posted by Charlie
                I believe in detensioning the blade, especially on a JET 14" bandsaw. I learned that lesson a couple years ago after leaving a tensioned 3/4" blade in it over the winter.
                Well, don't leave us hanging. What were the results? :P
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

                Comment

                • Charlie
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 210

                  #9
                  Deleted by me.
                  Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 08:52 AM.

                  Comment

                  • toolguy1000
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 1142
                    • westchester cnty, ny

                    #10
                    this seems like a good place to ask this question: anyone have any ideas about a tension quick release for this jet bandsaw which i purchased used 2 weeks ago- model jwbs-18, stock no. 708750B ( here is a link to the owners manual: http://www.misgroupinc.com/partfiles/man_708750B.pdf) i've written to jet but am not too hopeful about their reply. the tension spring's location inside the upper housing makes this a less than straightforward application. thanks.
                    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

                    Comment

                    • ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 2553
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                      #11
                      Woodsmith #161 has this. It might just be what you're looking for. I've seen it with better pics and I thought I had them, but... And, BTW, you don't earn the 'Goofy" award for leaving the tension on your saw. When I was a wee lad - under age 10 - I saw this knob on the back of Dad's neat Sears Dunlop bandsaw so I tightened it... a lot. Then, I heard a snap and the wheel dropped to the table. Of course, I ran. It was a long time before I told on myself. He thought that he had left it too tight. Wrong knob but it never worked again.

                      PS Digging around the forum I came across this video on a blog. It looks more substantial.
                      Last edited by ironhat; 08-22-2009, 07:36 PM.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

                      Comment

                      Working...