Question: AP1301 DC Port Retrofit

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 1867
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

    #1

    Question: AP1301 DC Port Retrofit

    I have the subject planer, which comes fitted with a 2.5in DC port. It's part of the molded plastic shroud that covers the chip-exhaust area at the back of the unit.

    I was wondering if anyone knows if there's a 4in retrofit accessory for this (i.e., larger port, not a 2.5in-4in reducer) - or if anyone has successfully modified to a 4in port.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    My AP1300 (prior model to the AP1301) has a shroud with a 2-1/2" ID port, but the OD of the port is adaptable to a 4" collector hose. Is yours not the same? (I realize that the interior is still 2-1/2", but my collection works fine this way... it's only a momentary restriction.)
    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 08-10-2009, 02:12 AM.

    Comment

    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • 9562
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

      #3
      I have that same planer, in a SHORT run, the 2.5" hose is fine, in a long run not so much.

      I would suggest taking the shroud in to your local Ace Hardware and start fishing around the plumbing department. You will want a rubber clamp on reducer that will fit 4" S&D on one end (the various sizes of DC fittings should be adapted with the rubber and clamp...) and just find one that bells down to fit over the outside of the dust port fitting. I believe it is a 3" end that will work. Clamp it down, and use a short piece of S&D pipe and a clamp to adapt the 4" end to your DC hose...

      In all honesty, I am NOT going to add my planer, or my benchtop jointer to my DC, but instead roll the cyclone stacker / shop vac / thien cyclone out to those tools when in use. Quicker, easier, and I know I will have the static lift I need...

      UC, I have seen an AP1300, those fittings look a LOT like the Ridgid 13", the AP1301 unfortunately did NOT get the good fittings... But it did get the double sided knives that are shared with the Ridgid...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

      Comment

      • Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • 1867
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

        #4
        UC, Dave,
        I've tried adapting 4in-2.5in already, and the airflow restriction on the DC line does not allow for pulling the chips as well as when I was using my large shopvac. I was hoping to maybe replace the shroud with one that has a larger port (if such exists), or cut the shroud and mount a larger port. Although now that I think on it, maybe the planer itself is restricting the airflow - i.e., not enough "intake" area through the cutterhead assembly...

        That said, maybe I can try creating more airflow by slightly rotating the shroud to create an intake path, and see if I get better pull through the reducer...
        Bill in Buena Park

        Comment

        • dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • 9562
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

          #5
          AFAIK, there are no aftermarket shrouds for these. You might be able to fabricate one from sheet metal though.

          Honestly with tools like my AP1301 and my Sunhill SM-150B I know I need to keep a Shop Vac in production with those tools...

          I guess it all depends on how straight and long the run of 4" is before you get to the tool's port. But necking down to 2.5" without the static lift of a shop vac might just not provide sufficient air flow to properly clear the shavings from a planer / jointer.

          I somewhat wonder if a compatible hole could be cut into the top of the factory hood, and an off the shelf 4" dust port could be grafted in somehow. Wish I knew more about working plastics on that account...
          Last edited by dbhost; 08-10-2009, 04:21 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

          Comment

          • Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • 1364
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

            #6
            AP1301 chip extraction...

            I have an AP1300 and when coupled to my 195 cfm ShopVac with a 2.5 hose, it will eventually clog inside the shroud on long runs with wide stock. This usually happens after 3 or 4 passes. I believe that the problem is the lack of intake area in the cutter head. My workaround is to let the vac run between passes and not use the ShopVac's switched outlet for the planer. One of these days, I will get something like a Dust Deputy set up and that should help matters.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            I've gone out to look for myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

            Comment

            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • 9562
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

              #7
              Originally posted by Jim Frye
              I have an AP1300 and when coupled to my 195 cfm ShopVac with a 2.5 hose, it will eventually clog inside the shroud on long runs with wide stock. This usually happens after 3 or 4 passes. I believe that the problem is the lack of intake area in the cutter head. My workaround is to let the vac run between passes and not use the ShopVac's switched outlet for the planer. One of these days, I will get something like a Dust Deputy set up and that should help matters.
              That is a good thing to mention. Do NOT shut off the DC, or shop vac between passes or this WILL clog up QUICKLY! I use a Thien trash can cyclone and simply drag the cyclone / vac out by the planer when I need to use it. I use as short of a hose as possible. In this case, 3.5' is enough to make a straight shot from the cyclone to the port on the planer. It works pretty well, but yes, you need to keep the vac going between passes...

              I have seen several owners that have these hooked up to 4" without too much trouble, but they keep the DC running and do not switch it off between passes... AND the planer drop is the one closest to the DC.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

              Comment

              • Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 1867
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

                #8
                Jim, Dave,
                Thanks for your thoughts. Using my 16g shopvac, I never had a clog. I could fill the whole filter bag with shavings and no clog. But that has some suction!

                I only run 5ft of hose between my TCS and my planer, so I can't think that's an issue, and I always have the DC running when the machine is operating.

                I'm not skilled in sheet metal, and don't think it would do much to keep noise down, so I don't think I'll pursue that option. But the "grafting" idea is what I've been considering... so will think on it some more. Maybe I can fab some kind of polycarb box retrofit that incorporates a 4in port and venting for improved airflow.
                Bill in Buena Park

                Comment

                Working...