X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Old Buffalo 14" bandsaw

I have a chance to pick up an older model Buffalo 14" bandsaw which I believe is one of the generic imported cast iron frame saws for cheap. The only issue is that the guy says the tracking keeps getting off. He says it will run for 5-15 minutes and then the blade comes off the wheels. My guess is that there is a REAL good chance that he just doesn't know how to adjust it or set it up and that is the issue. "Loose nut at the wheel" sort of thing.

If that is not it, what is the worst case scenario? I can sell my Ryobi 10" for enough to pay for it, plus about $30 in parts probably. Not a big deal if it is over that, just wanted to give you guys some idea of cost. Price wise, what do you think this would realistically cost me to get going?
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • Martin
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Carrollton, TX, USA.
    • BT3100; Antique Delta 8" tilting table

Old buffalo saw

if you look at it, try to determine if it has ball bearings or cast iron bearings. Some of the old saws of that era sold by Wards did not have roller bearings, but had cast iron bearings like a lathe.
    INDECISION IS THE KEY TO FLEXIBILITY

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Also check your blade. It is possible the blade has a slight taper and walks toward the thin side until it slides off the wheels.

Not sure about the bearing thing... No idea of the year of MFG or model #, but I recall years ago helping a friend overhaul a 14" Buffalo band saw, it used pretty standard sized roller bearings as I recall, like a car's wheel bearings. I believe we got the replacements at Grainger.

Another item that might influence the blade taking a walk is insufficient tension. Many of these 14" band saws, when equipped with a riser block can't tension enough with the stock spring. The Iturra / Cobra Coil tension spring is a worthwhile investment.

If everything is nice tight and smooth, and the blade is tensioned right, I would be willing to bet he's just not got the saw set up right.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

It looks like this one slipped through my grasp. I was going to go get it after we volunteered at the women's shelter. I should have left right then. Apparently I don't have enough good karma stored up yet!!
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• jonmulzer
          • Dec 2007
          • Indianapolis, IN

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1270246903.html

Anyone want to wager that this is the same one that was I was going to buy for $50?

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Email him from another account and see who replies.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by tfischer
              Email him from another account and see who replies.
              Yep, it could be a case of bandsaw arbitrage (someone identified a $50 bargain and is trying to make a buck, or 150, on it).

Comment

Working...