• Show
Clear All
  • IWannabe
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • MD

HF Portable Pocket Hole Jig

Hello,

I was in my ritual of walking the Harbor Freight aisles when I saw this pocket hole jig. Anyone have any experience using this? Item #96264. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...submit=find+it

Thank you in advance for your responses.
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

It doesn't appear to come with the specialized drill bit that the Kreg jigs come with. Might be able to buy it separately. How much was it at the store?
    - Chris.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by docrowan
      It doesn't appear to come with the specialized drill bit that the Kreg jigs come with. Might be able to buy it separately. How much was it at the store?
      go to the regular HF website (for the online store, www.harborfreight.com) and use the same stock number 96264, it lists the drill bit as being included and 100 screws.
      Price is $70, which seems high by HF standards.

My comment is that there appears to be two angles for the drill guides. There seems to be an unusual pivot on the guide blocks I'm presuming that allows different heights of workpiece to be placed under the drill guides by tiliting the drill guides. I'm not sure but guessing the knob on front allows selection of the drill guide position (width) and or angle for the different heights?
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-16-2009, 07:18 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

At that price, or even with the coupon, I'd say just save up a bit more for the real thing. I got the K3 jig a bit ago and finally had a chance to use it. SO handy for building case work.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Buy the real thing. I haven't looked at the HF, but when I bought a cheap jig, the drill bit snapped at the step after only about a dozen of so holes, and only a light tap against some surface. If a cheap bit from a woodworking store does that, imagine what a HF step bit could do.

Jim

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I bought a Kreg at a WW show a couple years ago, and still have yet to use it for a major project. But Kreg's quality is impeccable -- I have several of their products, including the BS fence and a few other jigs. For $70 I'd save up a bit more and get the real thing. I got the full Kreg master kit (many more pieces than this) plus a few extra clamps and a DVD for around $140 at the show...

Comment

• jeepjohn
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2009
              • Magnolia, TX
              • Bought a BT3100 and looking to put some nice projects together

I would spend a little more on a kreg jig... I have the new K4 jig set and it is really cool. The quality is top-notch and it is bullet-proof. I have completed several projects in record time and the joint it creates is really strong and fool-proof.

Comment

• pacwind3
                Established Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Vancouver, WA
                • Bosch 4100

I have to second the Kreg jig nomination. I really is nice. I've used mine quite a bit. My only complaint: the handle needs to be larger around. Maybe an inch longer wouldn't hurt either. I've been kind of thinking of making a sleeve that fits over the handle. Other then that I really is nice. I think I just saw it as Lowe's for $99 and I know I paid about $130 for it, but that was over 2 years ago.
                If it broke: I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Also, they have a lifetime warranty on the part that you drill through, in case it ever wears out.

Comment

• Sawatzky
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • CA
                  • Ridgid TS3650

For even less than this jig you can get the Kreg Rocket. It is a clamp on version so it is smaller and takes more time to set up, but it works great. This is what I use, and I use it on every project that has a face frame - which for me is every project.

Comment

• IWannabe
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • MD

Appreciate all the inputs! I had my eye on the Kreg K3MS master pocket hole jig, but have yet to see it go below $139. Guess I better save up some more

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by IWannabe
                      Appreciate all the inputs! I had my eye on the Kreg K3MS master pocket hole jig, but have yet to see it go below $139. Guess I better save up some more
                      Yeah, even at the woodworking show, it was one of those "we can't lower the price, but we can throw in lots of free stuff..." sorts of things...

-Tim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah, Kreg seems to have some sort of dealer requirement that the Kreg never be sold for less than the retail price... you sometimes see it with extras thrown in but never on sale. Its one of those items that's always excluded from sales prices when Rockler or Woodcraft has sales and coupons.

I guess if you're the standard of the industry you can afford to be that way.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I just bought a Kreg pocket hole jig and have used it once so far to fasten a french cleat to the back of a cabinet.
                          All I can say is, "Accept no imitations". The Kreg is drop dead simple/foolproof. I know I'm not going to regret this purchase.

Comment

• IWannabe
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2006
                            • MD

Kreg! Kreg! Kreg! I figure if I chant it enough, I'd convince myself to buy it now! I've been feverishly "saving money" by buying only stuff on "Bargain Alerts" and other deal-saving websites, and scouring the clearance aisles on the big box stores. Somehow my method doesn't work, as I just end up shelling out more money

Comment

Working...