• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwithboat
    • Jan 2008
    • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
    • Craftsman Pro 21829

Band Clamp

I am working from a set of plans that calls for a band clamp. Not having used one before I checked one out at the local hardware store. $20. In these situations I often talk to myself. Self, I said, I have seen that before. Sure enough it was a very similar to the four holddowns I carry in my pickup. The holddowns worked fine for clamping. (I know this seems obvious and I almost decided not to mention it, but someone must be paying $20 for these things instead of less for a set of four)
    regards,
    Charlie
    A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
    Rudyard Kipling
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I have 2, a Bessie Vario and a Merle. The Vario has a nylon web band and the Merle is steel band. Nothing works better for setting a frame.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Long before I knew about a woodworkers band clamp, I used a ratcheting band hold down as a band clamp. In fact, I still do. Actually any kind of strap or band without the ratchet, or even rope can be used to "tourniquet" tight.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

At first I read it wrong, and clicked on it in anticipation of a juicy story about a summer at Band CAMP. Wow, what a letdown.

What is this board coming to? Actual woodworking topics? What's next, a discussion on the merits of a spline joint over biscuits?

Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I once used one of those automotive style ratcheting clamps as a woodworking clamp. The orange dye they used for the fabric band came off on the wood and ruined my piece.

Now I have a nice Bessey band clamp I picked up on sale but I have not used it yet!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I once used one of those automotive style ratcheting clamps as a woodworking clamp. The orange dye they used for the fabric band came off on the wood and ruined my piece.

Sounds like just a cheap clamp.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Sounds like just a cheap clamp.

well, isn't that what Cwith is proposing he should use?

just indicating the possible problems.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

I've got a couple cheap ratcheting ones with the thin orange nylon webbing. The ratchet is operated with a little wrench. There are some stamped metal corner angles. Probably from HD or big lots. I don't use them much at all.

I picked up a bessey and I really like it. The C-shaped adjustable corner pieces are nice and it will generate a lot more clamping pressure than my other cheap ones.

I never really thought of using a tie down. Probably because I wouldn't want to get any of those metal hooks or a large ratchet body near wood.
                Erik

Comment

• cwithboat
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Craftsman Pro 21829

Originally posted by pelligrini

I never really thought of using a tie down. Probably because I wouldn't want to get any of those metal hooks or a large ratchet body near wood.
                  After viewing some of the band clamps at Rockler, etc. I can see there are different formats which would be applicable in circumstances unlike the one I have. The DeWalt clamp I saw in the hardware store had a ratchet body identical to the holddowns I have and the hooks are encased by plastic. Given the variety of clamp systems I saw at Rockler (rubber bands, Bessey, nylon webs) I am sure there are instances where the holddowns would be inappropriate.
                  regards,
                  Charlie
                  Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by JoeyGee

What is this board coming to? Actual woodworking topics?

Funny but unfortunately very close to reality. Seems like there is way more coffee shop **** chat being swapped around here than there is woodworking ideas.

EDIT: Why does the word C*H*I*T appear like **** in the above sentence???
                    Last edited by sweensdv; 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by sweensdv
                      Funny but unfortunately very close to reality. Seems like there is way more coffee shop **** chat being swapped around here than there is woodworking ideas.

EDIT: Why does the word C*H*I*T appear like **** in the above sentence???

Could be the forum software censor being diligent. We all have to be protected from krap like that.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

What's next, a discussion on the merits of a spline joint over biscuits?

This one time, in Band Clamp… Oh, sorry.

Personally, I prefer jam on my biscuits.

ADD meds haven't kicked in yet. Off to the shop before somebody here hits me!

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

I have strap clamp similar to Pellegrini's. I've been using the heck out of it on boxes the last few months. It works well for that application.

I don't use the cheap corner blocks at all. I find that they mark the wood and don't seem to offer much help in squaring the corners. I like the look of the corner blocks on the more expensive band clamps, and would fabricate something similar for my setup if I needed it. I think I'd make the corner blocks out of hardwood, with an 89-degree angle, forcing the joint together.

I have thought about using my truck hold-downs, and would do so in a pinch. One potential issue is that the truck hold-downs require that the two hooks be mated to complete the loop. This would happen a few inches from the ratchet assy, meaning the straight surface of the work piece would have to be longer than the sum of the ratchet assy, the short lenth of strap to the hook, and the pair of hooks. It also occurs to me that the blob created by the mating hooks might mar the wood or cause it to deflect (probably not an issue for 90%+ of clamping jobs, but worth worrying about). Oh, it just occured to me that my fabricated corner block, above, would make this lat thing a non-issue.

JR
                          JR

Comment

• cwithboat
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Craftsman Pro 21829

At first I read it wrong, and clicked on it in anticipation of a juicy story about a summer at Band CAMP. Wow, what a letdown.

What is this board coming to? Actual woodworking topics? What's next, a discussion on the merits of a spline joint over biscuits?

Note holddowns used as a band clamp. And, yes Joey, it is a spline joint.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	band clamp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	784285
                            regards,
                            Charlie
                            Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Tom Miller
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • Twin Cities, MN
                              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Yeah, those strap clamps are a great addition to the clamp collection. It was the perfect thing to hold this headboard subassembly together for dry fitting, without being bulky or adding much weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Headboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	784289

You do want to be careful not to bang the ratchets around. But otherwise they're no trouble. I also have a web-based frame clamp, but I wouldn't want a big handle sticking out like it would here.

Regards,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...