• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Sears and Ryobi

I need to take a serious look at replacing some battery-operated drills.

Does anyone know if the Sears C3 tools and batteries interchangeable with the Ryobi One+ gadgets? They kind of look alike, but . . . .

Thanks for the input. Regards, Steve
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Looks like somewhat wanted to prevent interchanging...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	417ecvJsE1L._SS500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	784185

Last edited by Knottscott; 04-26-2009, 12:39 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Knottscott
      Looks like somewhat wanted to prevent interchanging...
      Darn! Looks like you are right and my dream of two sources of interchangeable tools has been shattered. Too bad there is no icon showing a grown man crying.

Thanks for taking the time to check that out. I had looked for pictures to compare, but didn't find any.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

If you like your tools but the batteries are shot you may like to consider some of the compnaies who do battery rebuilds. I havent done this myself but have heard some good things from some folks who have.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by steve-norrell
          Darn! Looks like you are right and my dream of two sources of interchangeable tools has been shattered. Too bad there is no icon showing a grown man crying.
          Got that covered!

Last edited by Knottscott; 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • BT3100-1

I have two Black and Decker drills, one is 12 volt and the other is 18. I got them because the batteries were compatible with other tools (edgers, etc) and really like having at least two drills because it negates changing bits, or changing between drill bits and drivers. I have at least four batteries and two chargers, including one that takes both 12 and 18 v batteries, for each. The tools have served me well for what I need them for.

However, its not the batteries that's the problem. Both drills have those snap-in fittings that are so convenient and one of them is getting worn out. Its kind of a pain to have the bit or driver drop out just when you are getting ready to use it. The larger drill also has a conventional chuck that snaps in.

I have rebuilt the unit at least three times and the fix seems to last less and less each time; it may be time to replace it and the Ryobi (One+) and Sears (C3) combos caught my eye. I have plenty of time to think about this and maybe by Father's Day there will be some good sales.

Regards and thanks for the input, Steve

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Steve - If you're looking to replace, I've been pleased with the power, feel, and value of this Hitachi WH12DAF2 12V impact driver. Reconditioned Sales has the grade C in stock for $66. I got one of those and the 12V drill/flashlight kit for $39, so have the impact driver, drill, flashlight, 2 chargers, and 4 interchangeable batteries for ~ $115 shipped.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

they're not even the same voltage... 18V vs 19.2 - one more cell.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Steve,
                  I own the C3 line, and my friend owns the 1+; they are very comparable for the product line and in power, and we noticed the similarity between batteries too. Its my guess that Ryobi is under contract to produce the C3 line for Craftsman, as they are for so many other things.

In looking at combo sets between Sears and HD, however, the 1+ line seems more reasonably priced, and batteries (stock NiCad) are also cheaper - compare:

Combo Kit

1+, $159 - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100593255

C3, $189 - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...00P?keyword=c3 (although on sale for $149)

Batteries (2 pack)

1+, $49 - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100086262

C3, $64 - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...00P?keyword=c3
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• steve-norrell
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • BT3100-1

Thanks for all the information.

Bill: I had been comparing the Sears and Ryobi tools -- that's how I got the idea that they may be interchangeable. Now that the compatibility issue is settled, I am leaning toward the Ryobi, partly because of their compatibility with NiCads. Nice to have that option until (when?) lithium batteries come down to reasonable prices.

Knottscott: That's a cool looking set from Hitachi and there are others as well but, If I had to make a choice, I would go for the higher voltage. Also, our local Borg does a pretty fair job of keeping Ryobi tools in stock and not so good a job on other brands. Further, shipping costs to Alaska are obscene and even excellent prices from "outside" sources often end up costing more when shipping is added.

Loren: Of course I was aware of the listed voltage differences. My experience is that voltage ratings are often 'nominal' and I did see at least one source that put the so-called 18 volt batteries from Ryobi at about 19 volts. Of course it would be prudent to check that out before making any purchase. Perhaps an electical engineer can correct me, but I would guess that using a "19.2 volt" battery in an "18 volt" tool would not make much of a difference.

Thanks and regards to all, Steve

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

18v is a 15 cell pack and 19.2v is a 16-cell pack.

if there was no difference or they are interchangeable then why make the 19.2?
                      while in a pinch you coul use one for the other the design of the motor and chargers are all predicated on the range of the voltage from the battery pack. while they overlap they won't give ideal or uniform performance all the way through the voltage discharge range. An I'm an EE.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve-norrell
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • BT3100-1

See that! I knew an EE would provide an answer. I'm only a BS with a PhD and I'll let you figure out what the "BS" and "PhD stand for.

It would be real interesting to measure how much the two batteries actually differ in output.

But, enough of this. Time for dinner. Regards, Steve

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

Gordons had this to say on another thread " A little birdie told me that if you can hang on, some time before Father's Day, Makita will be having a special on their Li drill. If I understood the bird talk correctly, the 18v drill will be selling for $100 at the BORG. Just keep your eyes open........"
                          I took a look at the Makita at the Borg. I'm holding out to see if the sale materializes. It's a very light drill, with plenty of torque. It comes with 2 batteries and a 15 - 20 minute charger. Here it is on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmDhLKfDno

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Deb o
                            Handtools only
                            • Jul 2021

Try this link. I am considering same option as I have many 19.2 craftsman tools and batteries. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2843861

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Deb o
                              Try this link. I am considering same option as I have many 19.2 craftsman tools and batteries. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2843861
                              I'm curious, did you not look at the date? You are replying to a thread with the last post from 12+ years ago. Some of these guys are long gone.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...