• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

closing up bt3 rear

i have seen a thread on the bt3 that had the rear of the saw closed up to improve bust collection, but ingeniously. the poster had created a slot, that was the same as the travel path of the motor support, so that the enclosure did not have to be removed when the blade was tilted to 45deg. the special part of the enclosure was that as the motor was tilted, a series of small panels within the slot moved out of the way, while other small panels moved into the slot to close up where the motor support had been. i have searched using all the different topic titles i can think of that would pertain to ths, but keep coming up empty. any body else remember seing something like this? fedback would be appreciated. thanks.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

...bust collection??? Your Freudian slip is showing...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

I don't remember the thread but it sounds interesting, and I'm just bust-ing to tell you what I do....

I have saved all the large flat flexible magnets that come my way. You know the ones, they have some advertisement on them and they expect you to stick them to the fridge. Well, I just use them to cover the slot and when I tilt the saw I pick them up off of the floor, because I forgot all about them, and either stick them on if I am doing a lot of sawing or hold them till I tilt the saw up again.

Bill,

Happy almost whatever holiday you celebrate this weekend

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Try this...

Originally posted by toolguy1000
        i have seen a thread on the bt3 that had the rear of the saw closed up to improve bust collection, but ingeniously. the poster had created a slot, that was the same as the travel path of the motor support, so that the enclosure did not have to be removed when the blade was tilted to 45deg. the special part of the enclosure was that as the motor was tilted, a series of small panels within the slot moved out of the way, while other small panels moved into the slot to close up where the motor support had been. i have searched using all the different topic titles i can think of that would pertain to ths, but keep coming up empty. any body else remember seing something like this? fedback would be appreciated. thanks.

It's been working for me for many years. Nothing to remove.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

uncle cracker....ooooppppppssssssss

and the winner is, jim frye. thanks for the link. that's the thread i was referring to. thanks.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

I have never found sealing the back to be necessary. I did make a belly pan that I also attached to my DC and with this and a connection to the normal dust port it caught all the dust (or bust ) that went inside the saw.

With the addition of a shark guard DC hookup you can catch as much as is possible. Sealing all the other openings doesnt really help to catch much more IMHO.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
              I have never found sealing the back to be necessary. I did make a belly pan that I also attached to my DC and with this and a connection to the normal dust port it caught all the dust (or bust ) that went inside the saw.

With the addition of a shark guard DC hookup you can catch as much as is possible. Sealing all the other openings doesnt really help to catch much more IMHO.
              I agree with Jon, I don't have any openings closed off except a belly pan with a 4" diust port, the inside of my saw is pretty much spotless of dust.
              The air drawn in helps pick up the dust and cary it to the DC
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

DC vs. Shop Vac

I agree that if you have a real dust collector, you most likely don't need to close up the saw cabinet as much as I have. However, since a shop vac does not move as much CFM as a DC, limiting the air intakes can help with air flow. My industrial Shopvac is rated at 195 CFM, and I have only the saw blade port connected. Most shop vacs don't pull anywhere near what a DC does.

There is a secondary reason for closing up as many openings in the cabinet as possible. Noise reduction. The fewer openings there are, the less noise that can escape into the shop. In addition, I have all of the sheet metal panels joined with silicone sealer in addition to the screws. All of the cabinet panels have 2" diameter circles of silicone sealer applied all over them for sound deading. My saw is only a couple decibels louder than a Powermatic 5 hp. saw.
                Last edited by Jim Frye; 04-12-2009, 08:46 AM.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                  I agree that if you have a real dust collector, you most likely don't need to close up the saw cabinet as much as I have. However, since a shop vac does not move as much CFM as a DC, limiting the air intakes can help with air flow. My industrial Shopvac is rated at 195 CFM, and I have only the saw blade port connected. Most shop vacs don't pull anywhere near what a DC does.
                  I am using a ShopVac (20 gal) instead of a real dust collector and have to agree with Jon and Loring. The ShopVac draws enough air to keep things pretty clean (although not spotless) when hooked up to a Shark Guard and the vacuum port at the back of the saw even with the bottom of the saw sitting on plywood, with no vent.

I do have allergy issues with some wood dust so dust containment is important. I use a face mask and a Jet room air cleaner when working with MDF or cedar.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• kramer katt
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • SO CAL, USA
                    • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

dust collection

Unless Jim's solution was what the OP saw, I seem to remember another project that was similar but had maybe 3 or 4 sections that would slide over the arc opening as the blade was adjusted. Sort of like a tambour top but not exactly. Like fish scales?
                    This may have been on another WW forum but don't know any other TS that have the same setup as a BT.
                    KK
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

thansk to all for the info. the application i was looking for was the one jim frye pointed to. regarding closing the rear of the saw, i have a ridgid 2412 contractor saw with no dust port like the ridgid 3650, so closing up the back materially affects dust collection with my delta ap 400. but it's annoying to have to remove the cover i created whenever a bevel cut needs to be performed. and i didn't realize the bt3 had a dust port. so the next question is, anybody ever seen something that is functionally like this:

but applied to an open back contractor with a motor hanging out the rear end?

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

This is the thread I thought you were talking about. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=29578
                        Erik

Comment

• toolguy1000
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • westchester cnty, ny

thanks but i saw that one before i posted my question.

Comment

Working...