• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Are DP Chuck Keys Universal?

I need to get a key for my Craftsman 10" DP. Are all DP keys universal? Where is a good source for them?

I've tried the 4 way key from HF, and it didn't work.
    Joe
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

No, there are several different ones. Your best bet would be Sears Parts since they sold your drill press. Do you have a micrometer? Can you take an accurate measurement of the pilot on the chuck? That might narrow it down a bit for you.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• jon_ramp
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • western Chicago burb
      • Craftsman 21829

Your local Ace Hardware or big box hardware store should have a selection of various sizes. You could get two or three that look close and get a refund for the ones that don't fit. Or, you can remove the chuck and bring it with you.

Comment

• MikeMcM1956
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2008
        • Sugar Land, TX
        • BT3100 & 1950 Delta Unisaw

What Joey said, both Lowe's and HD sell them in various sizes. I got one recently at Lowe's for a corded drill that they key had walked away from, only cost about three bucks....

Mike

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Fortunately, in the larger chucks there are fewer possibles. I know there are multi-keys available with 3 or 4 different keys on each, but I don't know if they include the big 'uns or not.

Comment

• jonmulzer
            • Dec 2007
            • Indianapolis, IN

You can look at the hardware stores, but chances are they will not have them. I went through the same thing with my Jet drill press recently. Those are all for corded drills, none of them are large enough for a drill press. Hardware stores and the such only carry parts for the most common tools. In hobbiest workshops there are probably a hundred portable drills for every drill press so they don't bother. I went to every place I could think of. No one carries them for drill presses in my neighborhood.
            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

being a craftsman DP, take the 9-digit part number, usually found on the name plate like xxx.xxxxxx
              and go to www.sears.com, click on parts, find your DP using the 9-digit number, look up the part on the exploded diagrams or lists and place an order. Too bad it will cost you probably $3 for the key and $5 for shipping, maybe you can have it shipped to the local sears store or parts store for free?
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I am surprised, I actually found one today.

I had checked all the Lowes and HD's in my area, and they did not have any. I was travelling for work today and checked an HD in Grand Haven, MI and they had one. A 1/2" Jacobs chuck key--cost me all of $3.14 and works perfectly.
                Joe

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                  I am surprised, I actually found one today.

I had checked all the Lowes and HD's in my area, and they did not have any. I was travelling for work today and checked an HD in Grand Haven, MI and they had one. A 1/2" Jacobs chuck key--cost me all of $3.14 and works perfectly.

Good for you. My father got a Sears drill press that was missing the chuck. He ordered it from parts (making it not so much a bargain), and it came with a chuck key that doesn't fit.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...