• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Wynn 35A filter install...

Just for giggles, I timed my install of the 35A tonight. Not counting time to move the DC out of the corner it lives in...

From the moment I pulled the top bag hoop off the ring to buttoning up the strap for the lower bag was 4 minutes 40 seconds. And I wasn't rushing...

The install sheet says 15 minutes.

I guess that includes beer time.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

There's ALWAYS time for beer!

(Of course that time is after the job is done—Don't want to lave any high-BAC fingers layin' around.)
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

LOL. No kidding.

I REALLY need to fix a couple of project problems, and kick some projects out of my shop to do some cleanup, and finish getting my DC setup done...

That Wynn filter is MUCH heftier than I expected. The pleats are nice and deep, and the steel parts are thicker gauge metal than the DC itself...

They do nice work for sure.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

That is encouraging to hear. I just ordered one this week. I am putting it on a Delta AP-400 and from the sheets, I am expecting to have to make a donut. So it will take longer. Any tips?

Jim

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Never seen that DC. Part of the reason I bought the HF DC, aside from the cost / features, is the fact that the Wynn filter is a direct drop in replacement.

If you have to build a mounting donut, I would suggest if you don't already have one, pick up a circle cutting guide for your router, and make it in a couple of passes of your workpiece.

So for example you want an 18" diameter donut cut from 3/4" ply...

Set your radius to 9", and DOUBLE check center point to INSIDE edge of your carbide on your straight bit cutter. (9x2=18 if I remember 4th grade math right...). THEN...

Make sure you have a sacrificial surface under your work piece. I set mine on old nasty sawhorses that I don't care if I cut the wood on. You could use Cauls there as well...

Set your depth NO DEEPER THAN 1/4" for the first pass.

If you have it, set up your dust hose for your router. Mine doesn't have it (YET)...

Make your pass. Then reset your depth to 1/2"
          Another pass, set depth to just a little bit past 3/4", like 13/16" is fine...

Measure the inside diameter of the Wynn filter. Setting your radius to half that, at the OUTSIDE edge of the carbide cutter, and repeat the above steps...

I am thinking maybe next you would screw the filter to the donut, hang some eye hooks off the bottom then connect the turnbuckles, but I have no idea...

Sure wish I knew what I was talking about with that model...
          Last edited by dbhost; 03-13-2009, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• MikeMcM1956
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2008
            • Sugar Land, TX
            • BT3100 & 1950 Delta Unisaw

db,
            Which model of the 35A did you get, paper or plastic? How much was shipping, and how long did it take? I've had an aftermarket felt bag on mine from AFF for years, but I'm sure the Wynn is better at filtration and airflow.

Mike

Comment

• Rich P
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Foresthill, CA, USA.
              • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Mike, Wynn has a shipping rate table on their web site. If you are west of the Rockies, some product comes out of the LA area and will have lower rates than stuff coming from their PA (as I recall) location. I'm in the SF bay area and mine arrived from LA in less than 1 week.
              Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• Rich P
                Established Member
                • Apr 2003
                • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Jim, the Wynn web site has a step by step photo article on a guy mounting a smaller diameter filter to a DC using a donut. I believe this was before they came out with the 35A series.
                Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by MikeMcM1956
                  db,
                  Which model of the 35A did you get, paper or plastic? How much was shipping, and how long did it take? I've had an aftermarket felt bag on mine from AFF for years, but I'm sure the Wynn is better at filtration and airflow.

Mike
                  I talked with their sales lady, I wish I could recall her name right now, and discussed what I do with what sort of material. (Lots of Dadoes and other work in MDF, lots of resawing etc...) and she recommended the spun bond Polyester. I was teetering between the two, because I was interested in the .5 micron filtration of the paper element. After talking with her, and reading Bill Pentz' recommendations, I went with the Spun Bond. The test methods between the two are slightly different, and she says that if they had been tested the same way they would have the same results... I don't know all about that, but I do know that after thinking about how many times I have had to wash my HEPA in my wet / dry vac, I am glad I got a washable filter...

As far as shipping is concerned, you and I are in UPS shipping zone 6, and according to their rates page, that is $32.00, but they bill actual rate... I don't recall off hand what that was. I think it was a hair lower than that... Maybe $30.00 and some change...

I ordered my filter last Friday afternoon. They dropped the filter off with FedEx on Monday. (I guess they use whoever is cheaper that day, UPS or FedEx I dunno...). I got it yesterday.

I had actually considered one of those aftermarket 1 micron filter bags from Highland Woodworking due to the much lower cost, but the airflow improvement with the Wynn filter is something I knew I would be after shortly.

Only thing missing from this setup is a cleaning paddle to knock the dust out of the pleats and into the bag below... And there is a HOWTO / plan on the Wynn site to build just such a device...

Comment

• SCBob
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2006
                    • South Carolina
                    • Ridgid ts24241

Jim, my brother in Maryland and I used a 1/4"-20-36" all thread rod along with a lock nut and washer at the top, a wingnut and washer at the bottom through a 3/4"X3/4"X10-11" oak scrap. We drilled a 1/4" hold at the top center of the filter and one centered on piece of oak. We also notched the ends of the oak to to center it on the DC body. We did not use the Turn Buckles.
                    I liked my brother's Wynn/HFDC setup that I ordered a filter for me and so did my brother after I left. Within 3 days I had 2 delivered to the house by FedX. His came UPS.
                    Did I say I have a spare?

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I gotta ask...

Did you get the paper or Spun Bond and if Spun Bond, why the spare? to have a workable unit if / when you wash the primary out? (The way I am doing the HEPA on the shop vac now...)

That seems a tad expensive, but if you've got the bank...

Comment

• MikeMcM1956
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2008
                        • Sugar Land, TX
                        • BT3100 & 1950 Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by SCBob
                        I liked my brother's Wynn/HFDC setup that I ordered a filter for me and so did my brother after I left. Within 3 days I had 2 delivered to the house by FedX. His came UPS.
                        Did I say I have a spare?
                        Bob,
                        PM sent ....

Mike

Comment

• SCBob
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Apr 2006
                          • South Carolina
                          • Ridgid ts24241

Originally posted by dbhost
                          Okay I gotta ask...

Did you get the paper or Spun Bond and if Spun Bond, why the spare? to have a workable unit if / when you wash the primary out? (The way I am doing the HEPA on the shop vac now...)

That seems a tad expensive, but if you've got the bank...
                          db, I didn't say we were smart. But yes, two BLOL (paper) came to my house.
                          Sure couldn't send one back for my dumbness. A full kit still in box in the garage. It'll work out.

Thanks Mike!

Comment

Working...