• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by ah_clem
    Thanks for the information on the table dimensions both pre and post retrofit.

Wondering, as the result of the retrofit was to move the fence outward by < an inch, what else was involved?

Does anyone know why this was done?

Was it just due to issues with ripping (something you can do but shouldn't )?

Thanks in advance for your time...
    It has a been a looong time since I had my Sears RAS, but I do remember that it had two places for the fence, and yes one fence location was for cross cuts, the other location was for ripping. The RAS was quite popular before safety equipment and safety mindset came along. I did quite a bit of ripping in the late 70's and 80's with the RAS. No accidents. I was more scared of crosscuts than I was of ripping.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

ah_clem

Welcome to the forum.

The original table consisted of three pieces, the front table and then two narrower pieces 'behind the fence'. One of those was five inches deep and the other two inches. The main table was 19 inches, and all were forty inches wide by one-inch thick chip board. I have a quarter-inch thick x 48-inch wide sacrificial top on the front table, which adds about four inches to each side.

I still have my 1973 Craftsman 10-inch RAS which I purchase in September of that year. For more than two decades that was the only stationary saw that I had, and I did a lot of ripping on it. The only discomfort I had was that when ripping, you're at a safety disadvantage because you're several feet from the shutoff switch and if you're moving sheet stock, that's a lot of weighted friction on a wood table surface.

First thing anyone should do is add a ply or mdf sacrificials table cover for the main table.

Regarding your question. There is a process that you go through with installing and aligning the saw carriage and blade with the front table. Once accomplished the table is firmly mounted in place on the side rails. The behind-the-fence placement of those two spacer boards, in my experienced opinion, are only there to provide another few inches of width should you wish to rip to the absolute widest capacity possible. I never saw an advantage personally and therefore always kept both pieces behind the fence. Advantage to that is a safe parking space for the motor and blade, especially when it's still rotating. (I always complete my cut by parking the carriage back behind the fence.

BTW, I'm still using my RAS, it is my favorite shop tool. For the last few years it's entirely dedicated to cross cut work and I have a fence-mounted, adjustable stop that is set against a measure.

Hope this is helpful,

CWS
      Last edited by cwsmith; 07-23-2021, 06:57 PM. Reason: Additional description
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...