• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Yet Another Tool?

I should stop looking on CL 'cause it's breaking the bank.

Someone nearby is advertising an AMT shaper with a cast iron table for $250. I have two good routers and probably need a shaper like I need a hole in the head, but I'm pretty sure this is a screaming deal.

Do any of you own a shaper and if so, does this make sense or should I leave it alone.

Of course if I'm lucky, someone has already put dibs on it.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

You can spend a fortune on bits for a shaper. If this one doesn't come with a good assortment, then your "investment" has only begun at $250.

Comment

• kirkroy
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Brunswick, MD

Craigslist and the bargain forum here are The Devil... However, I'm pretty sure they are keeping the economy afloat...

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

You would probably be happier sticking with a router in a table. Shapers do offer a wide latitude of profiles, but some shapers have less power than some routers. Most profiling you'll need to do can be done with a router. If the floor space isn't a question, and you can afford the expense and maintenance of a shaper, it can be a beneficial machine to own.

I would recommend getting a power feeder, as it makes it a safer and more productive machine. I used one for a very short period before I decided to get a power feeder. You can buy multiple bases and mount them on other tools. Then it's a matter of just moving it to different tools. They can also be mounted on table saws and jointers. Shapers are great for large profiles, and if doing great quantities can make quick results. They are usually used by cabinet and woodworking shops that produce frequent mouldings or profiles.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Shaper is kind of a specialized machine. $250 is probably a good deal if you need one, but... do your really want one?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Gentlemen, as usual you've provided good advice.

I don't need a shaper, I probably do not have the space for a shaper and I'm not sure I can afford one if I have to start buying cutters for it as well.

I have two fine routers (and two crappy ones), a table to mount one of them in (BT accessory table), and a selection of bits, which should be enough for the moment.

For anyone who lives in or near San Jose, here's the ad. Please byt this thing before I change my mind!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/1047716739.html

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
              • Dec 2005
              • Russell, NY, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Isn't the AMT outfit long gone out of business? Might be a problem getting parts or even shaper bits if they aren't standard sizes?
              RuffSawn
              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...