• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

Hmmm, I wonder why they did that. Obviously they had some good reason, because it would cost more to make that then if it was a full 2-1/2" inside. Are you going to cut the orifice out?

Comment

• tribalwind
      • Feb 2004
      • long island, ny.

Ahhh that's great man, Knew you'd like it !
      i feel very safe buying from them,never a single issue returning or replacing things for me if theres a problem. i'm Loving it! so much i'm going to sell off my shopvac,its so loud i avoid using it at all costs... i do still need to work out a better way to store it ...
      i have the HF DC, and i'm thinking i could build a cabinet on the rolling cart its all on,raise the motor in line with the intake on the dust bag/canister (eliminating that 12" piece of 5" hose between them... the space below can house a small trashcan/separator, and area to clip the dust-right fixtures to and store the hose vertically..so it's all on-board.

i havent hooked up my 1",1.5" and 2.5" tools yet, but i finally ordered these from amazon hope they'll work...
      .i may need to modify them for certain tools, theyre dirt cheap ($2) so figure its worth a shot...

i had to modify the connection with the 4" tool port that came with the system anyway..it was too loose...see 1st pic below...just wound some black electrical tape around my minimax bandsaws sutt port to get a tight fit,before i did that the adapter just slid off and stuck to the dust-right handle...

i didint have another adapter formy drum-sander,but noticing the difference in size needed was only like 3/16" or 1/4ish ,i turned back to the poorman's tape solution .just did it quick n dirty at first,might redo it to look nice next time...thought black elec tape may be too soft for direct friction fit and wear off fast so used clear cellafane instead,downside is it doesnt stretch at all so looks sloppy with all the creasing.
      appearance isnt everything, but i'm trying to make a change and 'care more' how my shop looks now that i'm redoing most of it with new tool cabinets(and many new tools!!!)workbenches etc...i still believe in Function before Aesthetics, but the nicer my shop looks,the more i'll use it and be inspired to go the extra mile with my projects in there,think.

i'll post back in here when teh dust port reducers arrive and i get to messign with them
      Attached Files
      namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

Rockler Review

Sorry to beat a dead horse on this one, but I am extremely disapointed with Rockler that they would post a positive review of their hose the same day I write it, but weeks after twice submitting a negative (but very fair IMO) review of their dust port accessory they still have not posted it.

I think it is important to understand that they simply delete any review that they don't like. Unfortunately, they don't even follow their own submission guidelines as my review followed them to the letter.

The bottom line is: Rockler reviews simply can't be trusted. This is especially sad because they have proven to be such an excellent company in all other aspects.
        Doug Kerfoot
        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Holland, Michigan
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by JeffG78
          Hmmm, I wonder why they did that. Obviously they had some good reason, because it would cost more to make that then if it was a full 2-1/2" inside. Are you going to cut the orifice out?
          The orifice can't be cut out. It is actually two parts that can rotate. I think it is a case of sacrificing the real purpose of the part (air flow) for the sake of a questionably useful marketing claim (hose can rotate while port connected).
          Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• JeffG78
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
            • BT3100

Gotcha. I agree that there are things about Rockler that are great and things that really tick me off. The closest Rockler to me is about 45 minutes away, which is just far enough to allow me to shop in the store if they have a GREAT sale, but not close enough to put up with their goofy games. Around Christmas, I would get at least two emails a day with various sales. Some were store only, some were online only and they were all a few items at a time. I would drive to the store and see stacks of stuff that would be on sale the next day. Unless I wasted gas every day, I could only buy a fraction of the things I needed at a good price. They remind me of the jewelry stores that advertise HUGE savings when they really just jack up the prices in between sales. I doubt I'll drive to the store in the future. If I need something, I'll wait for a sale and free shipping online.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dkerfoot
              Sorry to beat a dead horse on this one, but I am extremely disapointed with Rockler that they would post a positive review of their hose the same day I write it, but weeks after twice submitting a negative (but very fair IMO) review of their dust port accessory they still have not posted it.

I think it is important to understand that they simply delete any review that they don't like. Unfortunately, they don't even follow their own submission guidelines as my review followed them to the letter.

The bottom line is: Rockler reviews simply can't be trusted. This is especially sad because they have proven to be such an excellent company in all other aspects.
              That's a sad thing. For both us and Rockler.
              I read user product reviews on several commercial sites I use, and find that even for what I know to be pretty good products, that the ratio of good to bad reviews is 9:1 - there's always going to be someone who goes counter to the norm for some reason. Or vice versa (1 great review and 9 bad reviews for a bad product). I guess there's always some sucker or bad mouther out there.

So the mantra for me is still:
              1. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet
              2. if a product with more than a few (10) reviews doesn't have at least one bad review, then something's probably fishy
              3. Read reviews of products you are familiar with and if you agree with the majority of faults and good points that are mentioned then the reviews on that site are probably trustworthy to that 9:1 point that I mentioned earlier.
              4 Don't deal with an eBay seller/buyer who has less than 97% rating.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

So how are you guys liking this hose after some continued use?

I recently picked up a Jet-650 and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use it. I really wanted a large 2hp model and put it in a add on enclosure behind my 10x12 shed and do a couple hard plumbed lines down each side. The price and timing was good on the little Jet, but I have to rethink my intended system. The 10' black hose the guy threw in is cumbersome to say the least.
                Erik

Comment

• TheChief
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2008
                  • Kentucky
                  • Craftsman 21829

I've followed this thread for a bit without comment and don't have the whole system, but I've been thrilled with the 3'/21' DR expandable hose. Reaches every corner of my 18 x 20 garage, and with a 4" quick-fitting on the end and a 4" to 2.5" funnel adapter it hooks up to everything I need it to. In the past I'd be tempted to do quick cuts w/o dust collection because it was a pain to set up. Now I just grab the end of the DR hose and go.

Going over the whole length of hose I haven't found any holes or other manufacturing issues. I think the wire may be coiled backwards from other hoses with wires but that really doesn't matter much.

I'd like to get the "master system" accessories but keep waiting for a better price, or something on eBay but so far I haven't seen anything earth-shaking on either front.
                  TheChief
                  "You emptied the dust collector? Dude... some of my best work was in there!"

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

I just got the expandable hose for my birthday (6/5). It seems to work just great. Much better than the 10' standard hose I was using, which I typically extended with another 10' 2 1/2" hose, which restricted my airflow more than I realized.

I'd really like to switch out to using the entire Dust Right system, but man the costs count up...

Comment

• MilDoc

Have to admit, I bit the bullet and bought the system. All the "connectors" I used for my previous 4" hose NEVER held, despite scratching the ends, etc etc etc. Still slipped off w/o duct tape.

This system holds fast. No problems anymore. And the 21" hose contracts to take up far less space.

I'm sold.

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

I picked up the 21' hose today and the accessory kit. It certainly is much less cumbersome than that 10' length of black hose that I have. I think it's far less unruly than my shop vac hoses too.

How do you all have yours mounted or stored? I'm thinking I will fab a holder that attaches to my jet-650 so it can just wheel around with the collector.
                        Erik

Comment

• dkerfoot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Holland, Michigan
                          • Craftsman 21829

With the notable exception of the 2 1/2" adapter, I am loving this system too. I have not been getting nearly as much shop time as I like, so I can't add any "real world" experience to the durability question other than to say I don't foresee any issues.

I have seen some complaints about the tube being heavy and it is heavy for a 3' hose, but not at all for a 21' hose!

This truly is an innovation in tools - something that is often claimed but rarely realized. It solves a real problem in an elegant way.

I don't have the entire system, but I have the 21' hose, handle, two 4" and two 2 1/2" (aaarrrggghhh!) ports and a set of the bridge hose clamps.

Has any test fitted PVC pipe to the handle? I feel no need for the bench nozzle or floor sweep other than a hunk of tubing long enough to reach the floor...
                          Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• jgrobler
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Salinas, CA, USA.
                            • TS3650

Do you guys have the DC, or just the fittings? I've been thinking to get the set, including the DC, but not sure if it's just OK, stellar quality, or great value for the price.

Thanks,
                            Johan

Comment

• tfischer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by jgrobler
                              Do you guys have the DC, or just the fittings? I've been thinking to get the set, including the DC, but not sure if it's just OK, stellar quality, or great value for the price.

Thanks,
                              Johan
                              I have a "Pro Tech" DC that looks pretty much identical (I got it at Menards). I upgraded the filter to a 1-micron and it's worked well for me for 4-5 years now. If I had the floor space, I would instead get the much larger Harbor Freight one that a lot of folks here use... it's not that much more expensive when it goes on sale frequently. But I'm using a shared garage, and I keep the little DC underneath my drill press most of the time, but it can be easilly rolled around if necessary.

I've never used a 'real' DC so I have nothing to compare it to, but it's way better than a shop vac, and provides very effective dust control for its size/price. I actually bought it after getting my planer and literally using a snow shovel to clean up mountains of wood shavings a couple times, but now I use it for all tools and love it.

Comment

• pelligrini
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2007
                                • Fort Worth, TX
                                • Craftsman 21829

I'm still not too sure about the dust right hose. I think it will work better once I get my docking station/holder built.

I love the small footprint and the easy and snug fit of the connections. Trying to control a 20' long slinky can be frustrating at times, even with the collector on taking up the slack.

My dogs have already put a couple holes in it with their long nails when I had it laying out. I've got a feeling that I will be patching it often.
                                Erik

Comment

Working...