• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

How to diagnose/fix a motor?

Any pointers on how to do the above. I am trying to keep as much of the "magic smoke" in the motor! My second hand 20+ year old Jet 6" planer, that I have hardly put more than a couple of boards through, has developed some vibration and then creates smoke under very little load. I thought maybe the belt was loose, so I put more pressure and tightened the belt, but while I was under there and got to see it in action I saw the source of the smoke was from the motor itself. And boy does that stuff stink! The motor still runs, but seems to overheat very quickly? What do you think?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

it's toast. the motor windings are now shorted making heat and smoke. smoke and smell is the easiest was to troubleshoot motors.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by Tom Slick
      it's toast. the motor windings are now shorted making heat and smoke. smoke and smell is the easiest was to troubleshoot motors.

agreed Tom, once you let the smoke out of a motor it is done. the reason it is still running is that you have only shorted a few of the windings but the longer you run it the more windings short together an then it lets out all the smoke. notice you did not blow the breaker yet .........
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

Is the motor coming up to speed? If not it may be your starter circuit has dust packed in it preventing the centrifigul switch from working, basically keeping it in "start up mode" and causing the windings to overheat.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

alas, my tool gloat from not too long ago, is now a tool regret. I hope the price of copper has gone up some.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Have you tried blowing the thing out. Maybe there's a dead critter in there.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Nah, I smoked him out C-man

Anyone have ideas where I can find a replacement motor on the cheap. It was a 120v, 1phase, tefc, 3/4hp 3400rpm motor. I have looked online and they mostly want over $100 and with shipping......

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

did you try HF?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• master53yoda
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Spokane Washington
                  • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

if you can't find a 3450 go ahead and get a 1725 and double the motor pulley diameter and it will run the tool at the same speed
                  Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

I don't want to high jack this persons thread, but I have 50 year old 1/2 HP AO Smith motor on my dads old Shopsmith and I keep blowing capacaters when a load is put on the motor. Is such a motor shot and or worth repairing? What would cause a capacaters to blow?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Uncle Hook
                      I don't want to high jack this persons thread, but I have 50 year old 1/2 HP AO Smith motor on my dads old Shopsmith and I keep blowing capacaters when a load is put on the motor. Is such a motor shot and or worth repairing? What would cause a capacaters to blow?
                      there should be a centrifugal switch the engages the starting cap when the motor is not turning and disengages when the motor gets to speed.
                      If the switch is stuck closed, the motor will start, but the capacitor wil keep shunting current the whole while the motor is running, probably burning it up. If the switch is stuck open, the motor won't start at all, maybe just sits there and hums.
                      When you start a capacitor start motor often you can hear a click as the switch disengages after about a second or so, depends on the motor.

Yor switch is probably stuck closed. you may find this switch on one end of the motor shaft, some cleaning and WD-40 may bring it back to life.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        did you try HF?
                        I did, the one I found on their was roughly the same, if not more in price and it was turning at 1800rpm, I dont know if the 200rpm increase will be a bad thing or not. As Masteryoda pointed out (which is awesome and completely overlooked) doubling the pulley size will make this motor turn at 3600 rpm whereas the old motor was turning at 3400.

I will check around to see what other motors may be available. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
                          I did, the one I found on their was roughly the same, if not more in price and it was turning at 1800rpm, I dont know if the 200rpm increase will be a bad thing or not. As Masteryoda pointed out (which is awesome and completely overlooked) doubling the pulley size will make this motor turn at 3600 rpm whereas the old motor was turning at 3400.

I will check around to see what other motors may be available. Thanks for the info!
                          There's really no difference between 3400 and 3600 in an induction motor. The 3600 is the synchronous, no load speed. When they quote 3400, they have taken into account speed slip of about 5-10% under load, all induction motors will behave the same, so they'll really perform the same at speed.

A 2-pole, 60Hz induction motor claimed as 1800, 1750, or 1700 are all the same
                          A 1-pole 60 Hz induction motor claimed as 3600, 3500, or 3400 are all the same.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Ah...cool. Thanks Lchien. Also, if I have a hard time finding a 3/4Hp can I substitute a 1/2 or 1hp motor? This is for a 6" Jet jointer. Thanks

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
                              Ah...cool. Thanks Lchien. Also, if I have a hard time finding a 3/4Hp can I substitute a 1/2 or 1hp motor? This is for a 6" Jet jointer. Thanks
                              as long as it fits. I would not go smaller. A bigger motor can produce up to 1 HP, but if doing the job only requires 3/4 then it will only produce 3/4 HP. A smaller motor will stall and bog down if overloaded (with a load that required 3/4). If the original machine had a 3/4 i would not put less. You would stall or bog down on heavier jobs your old motor would have done fine.
                              You might feed slower or go with a finer cut depth with the smaller motor and get by, but I'd really go with the original.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2009, 01:51 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...