X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Rockler Forstner bit set- good deal?

Just wondering what you guys think of the 22-piece forstner bit set from Rockler? It's on sale for $40 now. Is it a good deal? I noticed MLCS has a 16-bit set for $30. So is the Rockler set really a great deal or is it just about average price.

http://www.rockler.com/Retail/flyer/Feb09/all.pdf
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • catta12
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Reno, NV
    • BTS20R

The set has been on sale at this price for a couple of months now. I bought a set when they first went on sale. The set is considerably cheaper than picking up a few separately. They are made in China, but of decent quality. I would not consider them professional grade, but they are a good value IMO. I would buy them again, having used them a couple of times.
    If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by catta12
      The set has been on sale at this price for a couple of months now. I bought a set when they first went on sale. The set is considerably cheaper than picking up a few separately. They are made in China, but of decent quality. I would not consider them professional grade, but they are a good value IMO. I would buy them again, having used them a couple of times.
      Thanks for the heads up. The original price of of $120 immediately caught my eye but I figured that might have been exaggerated.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Funny, the flyer shows them in a wooden case, the website shows the same item # in a blow molded plastic case...

I do like the size selection. Might just have to grab one of these.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Not sure if this Rockler set is TiN coated (or if that makes a big difference), but the HF price on a 16-piece TiN coated set is $34. If this Rockler set is similar, $5 for the larger set seems a like a deal.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• TheChief
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2008
            • Kentucky
            • Craftsman 21829

Is this another one of those deals that's only available at the retail stores? I'd like to get a set like this but the price online doesn't seem to match, and there's no Rockler store nearby that I'm aware of....
            TheChief
            "You emptied the dust collector? Dude... some of my best work was in there!"

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Yes I believe that this is in store sale only...

No, I do not believe these are TiN coated, which could be a drawback. However, the HF ones are reported to be TiN coated, and dull... Not a good combination...

I am not sure that TiN coating is all that helpful in a Forstner bit...

One thing I haven't seen that sounds like a good idea for a Forstner bit set is carbide tips...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I have two 7pc sets of HF Forstner bits; one TiN coated, the other not. Neither set is anything I'd characterize as "dull." (Well, the 3/4" size in one set is, because I've used it so much.) They're not quite as sharp nor do they cut quite as cleanly as my Freuds, but they're perfectly acceptable and the whole set cost about half what one Freud costs. I would rate them as Good overall, and Excellent for the money.

Freud and possibly others makes carbide-tipped Forstners. Bring your biggest checkbook.
                Larry

Comment

• catta12
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Reno, NV
                  • BTS20R

The blown plastic set is the same as the wood box set (same item number from when I bought the wood box ones anyway). I think they did a clearance on the wood box style in favor of the new plastic box ones.

Here is the new version at a higher price:
                  http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lter=forestner

Still a good deal if you can get the wood box ones in a store. It looks like they are gone from the website, where I got mine.
                  If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• liftoff621@hotmail.com
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2005
                    • San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22124

I Have Them

Bought my set in the wood case in the store just before Christmas. They work fine. I do change speeds in my drill press. Learned the hard way with past sets.

Comment

• wardprobst
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22811

I recommend the hex shank bits such as Grizzly and a few others. They are competitively priced and do not spin.
                      DP
                      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by liftoff621@hotmail.com
                        Bought my set in the wood case in the store just before Christmas. They work fine. I do change speeds in my drill press. Learned the hard way with past sets.
                        I do change speeds in my drill press. Learned the hard way with past sets.

I just ran a test with a 2 1/8" forstner in both pine and oak 1" thick. I can tell you that speed does matter as you would be surprised what the best speed range is on a larger 2" +. And as you go down the ladder in diameter.. the speed has to be increased but only slightly.

Some speeds are just too slow.. and some just too fast.. and now I know as I spent an afternoon with the 2 1/8" and a 1/2" forstner. At correct range you get good cuts and no scorch....
                        Attached Files

Comment

• jonmulzer
                          • Dec 2007
                          • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by dbhost
                          One thing I haven't seen that sounds like a good idea for a Forstner bit set is carbide tips...
                          http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...orstner%20bits

Your Rockler catalogs must not get as dog-eared as mine. :P I think I have it memorized.
                          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

Working...