X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Another tool gloat

Just picked up a JDP-14M benchtop drill press for the princely sum of $20! A fellow at work (who is kind of an ass so I don't feel bad about this at all....) told me he had a benchtop drill press in the garage that he wanted to get rid of and he knew I was always on the lookout for tools so I ran over after work expecting a Task Force or 8" Delta and when I saw what he had I could hardly contain my excitement. I offered him $20 and loaded it up. The only thing wrong with it is a little rust, missing the chuck key and the hinges on the upper door are busted. It runs like a charm though. The light even works! I knew this drill press was worth way more than I paid but then I just looked it up and I got a screaming deal!!

http://www.nonstop-mall.com/AlleySup...d=0&offset=120

After the $50 dust collector, $50 radial arm saw, $50 BT3000 with an unopened accessory kit and whatever else it was last year now I just need a $30 jointer and a $20 planer and I am set!!!

Go ahead and call me names Mr. Franke.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Dude -- you're making me ill. You're freakishly lucky... How do you know you're not an alien or something? You're going to outfit your entire shop for for less than the cost of a single tool!

... I'm going to go start drinking now...
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Well, if no one else is gonna say it...

YOU SUCK!!

Nice nab.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Great catch Jon, we havent had any good gloats for a while so its good to see that they still exist.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

I guess the 'ass' didn't tell you about the short that sends a few volts your way. Go ahead, plug it in....
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Does anyone else notice that his post count is now 666??

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

How can you not feel guilty about that? Nice find.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by bigguyz
                does anyone else notice that his post count is now 666?? :d
                Ha! ROFL
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Beezelbub, this man is the mo.fo. devil himself with his 666th post he taunts us with the fruits of his slick tongue....
                  at least your tool gloat is well marked....
                  Grats.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• shoottx
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2008
                    • Plano, Texas
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by BobSch
                    Well, if no one else is gonna say it...

YOU SUCK!!

Nice nab.
                    +1
                    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Suckus maximus...

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                        Just picked up a JDP-14M benchtop drill press for the princely sum of $20! A fellow at work (who is kind of an ass so I don't feel bad about this at all....) told me he had a benchtop drill press in the garage that he wanted to get rid of and he knew I was always on the lookout for tools so I ran over after work expecting a Task Force or 8" Delta and when I saw what he had I could hardly contain my excitement. I offered him $20 and loaded it up. The only thing wrong with it is a little rust, missing the chuck key and the hinges on the upper door are busted. It runs like a charm though. The light even works! I knew this drill press was worth way more than I paid but then I just looked it up and I got a screaming deal!!

http://www.nonstop-mall.com/AlleySup...d=0&offset=120

After the $50 dust collector, $50 radial arm saw, $50 BT3000 with an unopened accessory kit and whatever else it was last year now I just need a $30 jointer and a $20 planer and I am set!!!

Go ahead and call me names Mr. Franke.
                        You know it's illegal to use a gun to get deals like these...

I get fair deals, $75.00 floor DP, $200.00 loaded BT, free planer (B-day present from LOML), Gratis HEPA filter for shop vac on $39.00 sale sort of thing, but THIS is just out there....

I am left now needing only a jointer, lathe, and full size DC... (Not counting bits, blades, small goodies, and materials, lots of lots of materials...) I could kick myself for missing a deal on a 1950 something Rockwell jointer for $50.00 a couple of months ago... You sir, find the deals, and get to them in time. You must be retired...
                        Last edited by dbhost; 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM.
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                          • BT3100

man, you are lucky! like alex said, "you're going to outfit your entire shop for for less than the cost of a single tool!"

when i bought my saw, thickness planer and jointer, i didnt even know about craigslist! so i kick myself every time i think of what i paid for the tools at HD!!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Right place.. right time.. right guy to ask...

Comment

• jonmulzer
                              • Dec 2007
                              • Indianapolis, IN

Well, I held off on replies for a bit since I wanted to leave my post count at 666. Time to spoil that I guess.

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                              Dude -- you're making me ill. You're freakishly lucky... How do you know you're not an alien or something? You're going to outfit your entire shop for for less than the cost of a single tool!

... I'm going to go start drinking now...
                              Now if I only had time to use them!! I have been super busy the last year and have only had time to build some benches for my work areas and a wine rack. And it does not look like it is going to let up anytime soon, especially if I purchase the business I am looking at..... Then I will be lucky to have time to sleep I think.

Originally posted by herb fellows
                              I guess the 'ass' didn't tell you about the short that sends a few volts your way. Go ahead, plug it in....
                              For this sort of price, I can find the time to break out the multimeter and find the problem! I only say that because it is wired for 110 right now. If it were 220 I might be more leery. lol Fortunately I know this is not the case because he fired it up for me before I left his place.

Originally posted by Ed62
                              How can you not feel guilty about that? Nice find.

Ed
                              If you knew the guy, you would not feel guilty either.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                              Suckus maximus...
                              That means a lot coming from you UC!! I appreciate the compliment or resent the remark, depending on which way you were going with that.

Originally posted by dbhost
                              You know it's illegal to use a gun to get deals like these...

I get fair deals, $75.00 floor DP, $200.00 loaded BT, free planer (B-day present from LOML), Gratis HEPA filter for shop vac on $39.00 sale sort of thing, but THIS is just out there....

I am left now needing only a jointer, lathe, and full size DC... (Not counting bits, blades, small goodies, and materials, lots of lots of materials...) I could kick myself for missing a deal on a 1950 something Rockwell jointer for $50.00 a couple of months ago... You sir, find the deals, and get to them in time. You must be retired...
                              No gun. With the arsenal I have around here though, it is a possibility though. Do you want to know my secret? My Blackberry has made it possible for lots of them. I compulsively check craigslist on it. My girlfriend thinks it is disturbing, lol. But for this one, I heard a guy talking at work how he had to clean out the garage and get rid of a bunch of his gf's ex-husband's stuff. So I asked, "Any tools in there?" And voila!

And no, I am not retired. Just 29 years old, it is a bit early for me to retire.

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                              Right place.. right time.. right guy to ask...
                              Exactly! I seem to run on to those a lot. It also helps that I work construction where a lot of guys buy tools, use them a few times and then later need money. If you are the guy that has the money, you are the one that gets the deal!
                              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

Working...