• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailor
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2003
    • Bel Air, Maryland, USA.

Torx screws on Avanti router and bits

I tried to remove the base plate from my new Avanti router and discovered that none of my Allen wrenches fit the screws; the screws are TORX. There is nothing in the instructions or online parts list to indicate what size wrench/bit is required nor are the specs for the screws listed. For those of you who have 'played' with your Avanti, what size torx bit did you use to remove your base plate?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

If you have the 2200 model, I believe you'll find that the Torx screws in the baseplate are T-20. The ones on the baseplate are all the same, but elsewhere on the router, there may be other Torx screws as small as T-10. Harbor Freight can sell you a whole set of t-handle Torx wrenches for about 8 bucks.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Thanks for the head up, I recently picked up that router set and this is good to know.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Torx screws are very common these days. Its probably advisable to get a set just so you have some. Besides HF, Even Sears sells a 5-piece T10, T15, T20, T25, and T27 screwdriver-handled set for like $10 with a lifetime Craftsman handtool guarantee. Fortunately there are standardized sizes and no metric vs SAE so this set should fit just about everything that's not huge nor teensy tiny (my electric razor has T8 Torx).

if you want go cheaper buy a set of torx screwdriver bits or an "L"-key set like allen wrenches.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2008, 12:24 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Long Shadow
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2007

Avanti Base Plate

I picked up the Avanti also and at least the base plate screws are also ''cut" for a common screw driver (about a 1/4" size). I haven't been over the whole thing though so can't say about the rest of them.
          Long Shadow, aka Dan

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            if you want go cheaper buy a set of torx screwdriver bits or an "L"-key set like allen wrenches.
            Check any other sets of bits lying around (like those that come stuck in red plastic holders and packaged with screwdrivers or other tool kits) and you might also find what you need. That's what I did anyway, and it worked for me I think it's the only time I've ever used torx...
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Sailor
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2003

LongShadow: The screws on my base plates are NOT cut for a straight screw driver.They are strictly torx.

I could wait until next Tuesday to take the router to the senior center woodshop; they have torx bits. But I want to PLAY with my new Christmas toy NOW. (What a spoiled brat!)

So, I am off to Sears.

Thanks for all the replys.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

Don

Comment

• BerniePA
                Established Member
                • Nov 2007
                • San Tan Valley, AZ
                • Grizzly 0575

My base plate also had Torx but they, like Long Shadow's had a small "cut" that also fit a normal straight blade screwdriver. As soon as I stopped swearing long enough to take a second, more careful, long look at them, I saw them, but they were difficult to spot.
                Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• JeffG78
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                  • BT3100

My Lowe's Freud router should arrive on Friday, so I guess I need to check on my torx bit supply. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

• Sailor
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2003

T-15 is the torx size for the base plate screws.
                    I just bought a set of 6 torx bits from Harbor Freight for $4.

Don

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Hmmm... Some T-20, others T-15... Some slotted, others not... Starting to look like they're putting them together with whatever screws Ace Hardware has in stock at the moment...

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Here is the HF set that I have (I keep 2 sets here in Japan and 2 at my US home. - A set in the house and a set in the shop)

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

IIRC, I bought them at about $5.99/$6.99 3 years ago.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...