• Show
Clear All
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

HF Belt/Disc Sander 4 X 36

Wondering if anybody has this unit? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93981

Any comments, How do you like it? Difficult to set up? any problems? Any problems getting replacement belts/discs for it?

Would HF's spindle sander be better?

Thanks for any comments.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"
  • Larrysch
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008
    • Idaho
    • Ridgid

Joe - A woodworking buddy has this setup and he has never complained about it - so I assume that it works for him - I know if it did not - I would hear about it.

Also 4 x 36 belts and 6" disc are pretty well available at any hardware or box store - I know Home Depot has both of them. But I would order a supply from HF while your ordering the tool.

I have the 1" sander from HF. One thing about their products - do not expect top notice quality in their tools - if your were doing production work - I would go another way - but for me just using HF tools for hobby work - (I have a belt sander from HF and its over 4 years old and has been through the mill and is still working great) - HF tools work just fine and do the job I am wanting with ease and quality showcasing and the price is right. (Just wish my talent was quality showcasing).
    Larry

"I do not remember my mistakes - my wife does that for me"

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

When I was in the market for a belt/disc sander I looked at this sander at the local HF store. It didn't take me long to rule it out. The general construction of the thing was enough to turn me off, very flimsy IMO.

I ended buying the Hitachi SB10YI which at that time was only $79 at Amazon. It's considerably more expensive now but after a year of using it, I feel it's well worth what it's currently selling for.

If you're set on the price range of the HF sander, you should take a look at the Master Force or Master Craft or something like that at your local Menards. I looked at those also and it appears to be much better built than the HF sander.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

For me the main thing on thse belt sanders is the tracking mechanism, if it won't stay set the every few minutes the belt will go wandering off the platen which eventually tears up the edges of the belt and it gets trashed. Not to mention you can't work effectively when it keeps doing that.

I eventually had to replace my first Belt sander (A craftsman apparently made by Ryobi) for that probelms, got another (Ryobi BD3600) and it has been just fine. No experience with the HF one though.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I've been looking around for a Belt and Disc sander for the past several months. One thing I have noticed, they have all gone up in price $10-$20. They also RARELY show up on CL.

If was to get any of the cheaper benchtop models, I think I would go for the Ryobi, it seems to have the best reviews. I decided to wait to get the Rigid, since I want an OSS, too.

As mentioned, check Menards. They have a fairly decent BD sander, and an OSS that is very similar to the HF. I know the OSS has a larger DC port (2.5 vs. 1.25 on the HF) but I don't know what the motor spec differences are.

Of course, with the 20% coupon for HF, their BD sander is tempting.
          Joe

Comment

• mvk5150
            Handtools only
            • Jan 2007

I've had this sander for over a year now. I think I paid about $50, on sale. It's underpowered, very easy to stall the belt sander part. No dust collection. For hobby use it has worked for me. I think you'd be better off buying something else. I've had no problems with tracking or anything else just a lack of power.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I had a Ryobi I litterally forced into retirement after 6 years as I wore it out due to no fault of it's own. I got the Hitachi to replace it. Frankly.. I would reccomend either as both are good. The table on the Hitachi is better than the Ryobi but.. both have pretty good dust collection and plenty of power.

I cannot comment on the HF as I don't have or have ever used any of the HF products. They may be OK for occasional use (?).... You generally get what you pay for but there are exceptions as the $99 Ryobi and (whatever the cost now) Hitachi. But I would be leary of any under $100 unless you have just an occasional need and that is stated from someone that spends 4-8 hours a day in the shop.

Good luck...

Comment

• mvk5150
                Handtools only
                • Jan 2007

I also have the spindle sander from Menard's. Performax brand, it's like the Ryobi one. Other than it being little loud I love it. Great dust collection. Menard's has the sleeves for it but you can get them on the web.

Comment

Working...