• Show
Clear All
  • TheChief
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Craftsman 21829

Craftsman Jointer/Planer Question

Hi, guys. I'm kinda new here after recently picking up the Craftsman version of the BT3100 but right now have a question on the Craftsman Professional 6 1/8" Jointer/Planer (model 21705).

The local Sears Outlet has two or three of these new in beat up boxes, marked down to $310... with an additional 25% off since they've been around a couple of months, so total would be $232.50. Sounds like a great deal.

The issue is, do I really need one of these? Most of what I build is "This End Up" crate-style furniture (sized and structured to meet my specific needs) using whatever 1x4, x6 or x8 boards happen to be available. I've been "jointing" with the TS and getting pretty good results. Would there be that much advantage to having a machine dedicated to this? Would this machine really be suitable for planing 1x4 and 1x6 stock - perhaps save enough time currently spent sanding things level to make it money well spent?

Looking forward to the wise words of gurus,
    The Chief
    TheChief
    "You emptied the dust collector? Dude... some of my best work was in there!"
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Wow that's like 60% below retail. At least its a good price. Don't know if its a good jointer or not. Any 6" jointer will joint 1x4, 1x6 lumber but not 1x8 without a little imagination. If you haven't needed it in the past maybe you don't need it now but heck its a great price and if you are spending alot of time sanding things to get them flat well maybe its time to get a jointer. Do you have a planer? The reason I ask is that after you joint one side of a board you need a way to make the other side parallel to the jointed side.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

its a good buy IF YOU NEED ONE.
      If you just make crates you don't need one. If you make precision projects and/or use rough-finished wood and typically resize your wood before using, then they're indispensible.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• justaguy
        Established Member
        • Jun 2006
        • Chesapeake VA

Mind sharing the store location? That's a good deal if you need one.

Comment

• TheChief
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2008
          • Kentucky
          • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't have a planer - some hand planes I'm still learning to use properly but nothing to plane in reference to the opposite edge/side. If I understand correctly, a jointer/planer can be used for this up to a certain board width by referencing side-to-edge with multiple steps/passes.

While it is what I call "crate" style, it's a little better than that sounds. Solid, modular if possible, styled and stained to match our collection of genuine This End Up furniture. I'm especially happy with how my desk came out, though it still needs a hutch.

In any event this sounds like a toss-up. I'd probably use it if I had it, but won't miss it much if I don't, unless I start building more detailed pieces.
          TheChief

Comment

• TheChief
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2008
            • Kentucky
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by justaguy
            Mind sharing the store location? That's a good deal if you need one.
            Oh... the location is in Lexington, KY - the outlet store is located on Palumbo Drive.
            TheChief

Comment

• TheChief
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2008
              • Kentucky
              • Craftsman 21829

Well, for what it's worth, Mrs. TheChief said I could buy it. She figures if I get it in my head that it would be useful I'm going to drop ducats on it someday anyway, so might as well get a good deal on one instead of paying full price when I get the jones when there isn't a discount going. She knows me too well.

Reviews seem good and since I'm starting to beg for wood for charity projects this might help, even if all can get is a bit on the rough stuff. Might make a few of the boards in the culls bin at HD look more attractive, too.

Another plus - my boss is also a part-time sawdust maker and I thought telling him about this deal might score some points, since there are at least two units at the outlet.

He's driving his truck into work tomorrow.
              TheChief

Comment

Working...