• Show
Clear All
  • agent511
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • TS3650

DP table question

I have a 12" Ryobi drill press. I wanted to splurge on the Woodpecker DP table, with its excellent fence system, but I had concerns since it specifies 'for 14" and larger drill press'. I figured that I would notch the back to make it fit.

But when it arrived and i placed it on the metal table, backed up to the column, I saw that the drill center was only 1" shy of the table's pre-drilled target, and that the drill bit still comes down in the replaceable section.

So my question is, why notch it? Why not use it exactly as it is? So then, why is it not recommended/listed for a 12" drill press? Is there a problem with my thinking, so that it would be preferable to notch it? (I'd rather not).

It looks like even if I used a fairly large forstner bit, it will still be in the replaceable section.
    darksider
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

There is only one inch worth of difference from column to quill when you compare a 12" drill press to a 14". Those numbers mean they will drill to the center of such a workpiece. If you can raise and lower the table just fine and it suits you then use it as is.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have the WP drill press table, the low profile one.
      You won't have any real problem I can see. don't notch the back.
      In fact, you don't want the drill center at the center of the insert. By rotating the table a bit right and left and also rotating the insert four times then flipping it and rotating four more times you can ensure you are drilling with fresh support all the time. If you put the center right in the center of the insert then there will be a lot of overlap and you'll get much less use out of the insert before having to replace.

The WP table has a slim fence and it also has ears under the T-tracks that lock the fence that go back of the post which allows the fence to go farther back and take advantage of more of the swing of the drill press.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pacwind3
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Vancouver, WA
        • Bosch 4100

The only thing I can think of to watch for is: make sure you can still use the handle to raise and lower the table.
        Otherwise you should be good to go.

Comment

• agent511
          Established Member
          • Jun 2005
          • Philadelphia
          • TS3650

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am pleased that I will be able to keep and use it as is.
          darksider

Comment

Working...