X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Dewalt Tracksaw

Seriously, how can it be more expensive than the Festool? I had thought prices could not go any higher than Festool and then they release their version of the plunge saw at $479 on amazon without a rail and you can pick up the Festool for $475 with a 55" rail. Is there any place that has it cheaper?

The Festool plunge saw and rail system and the Domino are the only things I would even consider buying of theirs, if the prices were not astronomical. I was really hoping the Dewalt would be considerably cheaper......
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Just wait for the HF version .
    Joe

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by jonmulzer
      I was really hoping the Dewalt would be considerably cheaper......
      It probably will be... I'm sure if it's not even as cheap as Festool (Festool... cheap... ?!?!), they won't see a lot of sales activity. They may be forced to become more competitive.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

DeWalt products eventually get discounted so you may need to wait until it has been on the market a few months.

The closest I've ever seen to a Festool discount is free shipping or a couple of bucks when you bundle products. Festool will be more expensive in the long run anyway. They use non standard (at least in the US) arbor sizes so you have to purchase their blades.
        Chr's

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

The point I've seen people mention on other sites is that DeWalt tools tend to be heavily discounted from retail. So maybe it will still be less than the Festool?

I would imagine that the Festool name has been uttered more than once during meetings at other power tool makers. If I were a gambling man, my bet would be that many tool makers [DeWalt, Makita, Bosch] think they're leaving money on the table, having watched Festool for a while.

But I don't know if they can do anything about it w/ the economy as weak as it appears to be.

Comment

• sd
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by jonmulzer
            ...I had thought prices could not go any higher than Festool .....
            Have you looked at Mafell saws? They make Festool look cheap.

I can't see anything with the Dewalt name on it selling for the kind of prices that ultra-high-end tools like Festool or Mafell charge.
            -- Steve

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Festool watches the distribution channels closely and won't let dealers mark down prices. There is a Rockler store in Indy and when we go up there every year I stop in at least once. Last year I got to play with the Festool stuff and talked to manager about it. Among other things we discussed why there are never any real sales on Festool.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by cgallery
                The point I've seen people mention on other sites is that DeWalt tools tend to be heavily discounted from retail. So maybe it will still be less than the Festool?

I would imagine that the Festool name has been uttered more than once during meetings at other power tool makers. If I were a gambling man, my bet would be that many tool makers [DeWalt, Makita, Bosch] think they're leaving money on the table, having watched Festool for a while.

But I don't know if they can do anything about it w/ the economy as weak as it appears to be.
                Well, it isn't discounted that much yet.

Dewalt at $479, with no rail: http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-6-1-Cor...8496844&sr=8-1

For another $20 you can get one with a rail: http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DWS520K...8496844&sr=8-2

Festool for $475 with a 55" rail: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...filter=festool

And Crokett, you are correct. Festool makes all dealers sign a contract that prohibits unauthorized sales, discounting, essentially any form of price competition. If you purchase a Festool item here in Indianapolis or in LA it will be the same price. That seems rather totalitarian to me. It removes all competition from the marketplace on an overpriced tool and they get to set your profit margin, which no doubt is very high if the retail outlets agree to it.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Hah you think that's expensive you should see the cordless version. A little under $900, I believe. I don't think a cord would bother me so much I felt the need to spend another $400.

Not that I'd get the corded version either
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• shoottx
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2008
                    • Plano, Texas
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by jussi
                    Hah you think that's expensive you should see the cordless version. A little under $900, I believe. I don't think a cord would bother me so much I felt the need to spend another $400.

Not that I'd get the corded version either
                    You still get a cord, it is with the battery charger, you will need to use most of the time.!
                    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by joeygee
                      just wait for the hf version .
                      rotfl!
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

It will be cheaper than the Festool soon. I just received and email from McFeely's that Festool is raisng their prices across the board on 2009-Feb-01. The TS55 is going up 25 dollars to 500 and the TS75 is going up 30 dollars to 625. the Kapex is staying the same at $1300 so noy it is a bargain!

Details here.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/info/festool-alert2.htm
                        Chr's

Comment

Working...