New to me AP-10 Planner

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 4187
    • Lexington, SC.

    #1

    New to me AP-10 Planner

    I bought a little Ryobi AP-10 planner today from a guy from church choir. He inherited a DeWalt and wanted to sell the Ryobi. I bought 106 bd ft of rough 5/4 cherry Friday and planning the first few boards through my old manual INCA planner made me pick up the phone and give him a call. It was $100, I did not dicker, and came with the blade setting jig, sharpening jig, two manuals, and all the tools shown in the manual. The blades are Ryobi so I think they are the originals and from the condition, they may have never been sharpened. Lots of steel left.

    I planned the first few boards without sharpening the blades and it was a pain. The planner protested loudly, didn't want to feed well, but did the planning. Then I sharpened the blades and cut a little off both sides of the same boards. Big difference.

    I have not used other planners but so far I like my little Ryobi. It seems very well made and I like the blade sharpening and setting jig. I will buy some spare knives but I have a motorized wet grinder with a 1000 grit stone that does a nice job in a reasonable amount of time on the knives. I am cheap enough to prefer blades that can be sharpened and reset.

    I would like to be able to hook it up to my DC, however. I've googled for a dust hood but not found anything. It seems like I could make a replacement for the chip deflector if I have to. Any ideas where I could find a dust hood for it?

    Anyway, even though it is about 20 years old, I like my new tool. The brushes show little wear so I am optimistic I will get a lot of use out of it.

    I now have a Ryobi table saw (BT3100), radial arm saw (I forget the number), planner (AP-10), and router motor in my router table (R-500). I also have a 18V Ryobi drill, circular saw and jig saw. I have a Ryobi 3x21 belt sander I like a lot. I think all are good tools. I have PC routers and nailer, Milwaukee circular saw and sander, DeWalt drills and reciprocating saw and Bosch Colt and jigsaw. So I have other brands and I know some Ryobi tools are not so good but I like the ones I am mentioning.

    Jim
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    Sounds like you should be expecting a Christmas card from Ryobi...

    I have a Ryobi AP1300 planer which I like very much. It came with a detachable dust chute which works OK. I don't know if this same chute would work on an AP-10, but you might check into that. Ryobi has had ownership upheaval in the last few years, so parts and tech support are spotty at best.

    Comment

    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • 9562
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

      #3
      I'm not familiar with the AP-10, Post up some pics of it as soon as you can, sounds like a good score!

      BUT, I think I might have you beat on the Ryobi count...

      Table saw, Ryobi BTS-21 with Ryobi Dado throat plate, and Ryobi Miter fence clamp. Working a deal on a BT3100 with the goodies. Wish I already had it.
      Drill, Ryobi D46CK
      Reciprocating Saw. Ryobi RJ162VK
      Router (1 of 3 currently owned) Ryobi R161K circa 1999
      Quarter Sheet Sander. Ryobi S652DK
      Detail Sander. Ryobi CFS1503K "Corner Cat"
      Biscuit Joiner Ryobi JM82K
      Planer Ryobi AP1301
      Random Orbit Buffer / Polisher Ryobi RB60K

      Aside from the few limitations I have run into with the table saw, I have been very pleased with Ryobi so far... Great performance for the dollar spent.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

      Comment

      • shoottx
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • 1240
        • Plano, Texas
        • BT3000

        #4
        Ryobi did make a dust collection hood for the AP10. It was a replacement part. I do not recall the number.

        The dust collection hood is an odd size and requires a special gasket to hook a regular shop vac hose to the hood. I will try and get some pictures.

        Go to the search function and type in AP10 and it will bring up several threads on the subject.

        I have worked the stuffings out of my AP10 and it is still going strong after many, many years of use and abuse.
        Last edited by shoottx; 11-22-2008, 11:37 PM. Reason: More Info
        Often in error - Never in doubt

        Mike

        Comment

        • shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • 1240
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

          #5
          Here are the pictures of the dust hood
          Attached Files
          Often in error - Never in doubt

          Mike

          Comment

          • JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • 4187
            • Lexington, SC.

            #6
            Thanks for the pictures of the dust hood. Now if I knew the number and could find one.... I was thinking of putting a 4 inch DC connection in the middle of the deflector piece - interesting that Ryobi put it on one end.

            Jim

            Comment

            Working...