• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Cleaning off the rust on my DP.

So this is a new to me kind of thing, but the post, and base plate on the new to me Northern Industrial Drill Press both have some surface rust on them. I would like to get rid of the rust and seal them. I figure I can wet sand the base plate with some emery cloth and WD-40 on a sanding block. But I want to paint it afterwards. What do I do to get the oils and junk completely off? And how do I deal with the post?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Mineral spirits or kerosene should be able to clean off most anything that's on there. I wonder though how your paint job will hold up on the column with all the raising and lowering of the the table that is done with a drill press?

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

No paint on the column, just the base plate...

Not sure what to do to keep rust from forming on the column again, but I figure paint on the baseplate (and repaint on the belt cover) should keep the oxide from creeping back in...

I have a quart of mineral spirits in the shop...

I guess I should clean it up with the mineral spirits, and then what? Will the mineral spirits leave a residue or can I apply a finish to the baseplate after that?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Mineral spirits with coarse steel wool and a wire brush. the wipe it down with clean mineral spirits and you are ready to paint.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• gjat
          • Nov 2005
          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
          • BT3100

I hate using WD-40 around tools that I might be drilling wood on. I cleaned my drill press last week using naval jelly and a green scrubbie. I then cleaned it with windex (to cut all the oils) and sprayed it with clear spray paint. This weekend I'll put another coat of clear on the tables and some machine oil on the shaft.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by gjat
            I hate using WD-40 around tools that I might be drilling wood on. I cleaned my drill press last week using naval jelly and a green scrubbie. I then cleaned it with windex (to cut all the oils) and sprayed it with clear spray paint. This weekend I'll put another coat of clear on the tables and some machine oil on the shaft.
            Naval Jelly? Isn't that a bit strong? I understand the Windex part. Rubbing Alcohol is great too as it evaporates and doesn't leave a residue.

Why would the WD-40 matter if it was cleaned up properly afterwards? Just curious... I like to know folks thoughts on these things...

Comment

• gjat
              • Nov 2005
              • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
              Naval Jelly? Isn't that a bit strong? I understand the Windex part. Rubbing Alcohol is great too as it evaporates and doesn't leave a residue.

Why would the WD-40 matter if it was cleaned up properly afterwards? Just curious... I like to know folks thoughts on these things...
              Naval jelly isn't strong, and it doesn't take off paint. I just grew up using it I guess. WD-40 is okay if you clean it all off, but over-spray can be an unintentional mess (DAHIK).

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

After you get the column nice and shiny, you can apply one of the commercial rust inhibitors. I use the Boeshield T-9 aerosol spray.
                Larry

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                  Mineral spirits with coarse steel wool and a wire brush. the wipe it down with clean mineral spirits and you are ready to paint.
                  Got it, already started, the lighter rust spots are melting away, the heavier rust spots are taking a bit more elbow grease...

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Well, it all appears to be simply surface rust, however, I am finding some areas where the oxide buildup is substantially heavier. I have attempted the scrubbing approach with limited results. I have turned to taking a paper towel soaked in mineral spirits, and soaking the areas with mineral spirits, and reapplying, then scrubbing with the steel wool...

I have a feeling this is going to take a while... If I were charing by the hour this would be one expensive drill press!

Comment

• Rand
                      Established Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I bought a rusty Jet 6" Jointer a couple of years ago. First I used a wire wheel on a drill to get the major rust off. Then I followed up with a random orbital sander and some 220 grit. A coat of paste wax and it was as good as new.
                      Rand
                      "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• gjat
                        • Nov 2005
                        • BT3100

Naval Jelly would have dissolved it all in minutes if you just slather it on. It's not harsh, I've never used gloves with it. I've used it to take off serious rust on car parts, albeit I used 2 applications, letting it soak and scrubbing it off.

Thanks for the idea of boeshield. I've got blad lube that I'm going to use next time.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I think I am going to have to use Naval Jelly. I have gotten as far as I can with mineral spirits and steel wool... I have spots that still need to come clean and shiny...

AS soon as the spots are off, I was planning on hitting this thing up with a good paint job on the base plate, as well as the belt cover, the column and gear were going to get rubbed down with marine trailer bearing grease to protect and lubricate it.

Comment

• Whaler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Sequim, WA, USA.
                            • DW746

I think you may have a problem with that bearing grease acting like a magnet for all that dust and chips from drilling.
                            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Any suggestions for protecting and lubricating? I know protecting is easy enough. Lubricating is where it gets difficult...

Comment

Working...