• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Drill Driver Recommendation?

I guess this is a tool talk topic, but hope to make it a bargain alert!

I'm looking for a new cordless drill. Both batteries on the old Makita 14.4v have given up the ghost. Plus bits have started to slip in the drill itself. LOML is looking for a birthday gift for me, so here I am looking for input.

A few pertinent questions:
    • I like the size and weight of the 14.4v. Is 18v or 19v noticably heavier?
    • Does 12v offer enough power compared to 14.4v?
    • Is Lithium-Ion all that much better than previous technologies?
    • Are there any hot deals out there for drills in this category?
    TIA,
    JR
    JR
  • gettools
    Established Member
    • Sep 2006
    • Fort Worth, Texas
    • BT3100

JR,
    I have both the Bosch PS-20 driver & the PS-40 impactor, I have used both of them very hard and am real impressed not only with the power but also the longevity of the batteries. I also like the size.
    Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

18 volt is definitely heavier than 14 or 12.

But the next drill/driver I buy will be an impact driver - I've heard a lot of good about those, particularly that a 12v works as good as a regular 18v.

Of course IDs are expensive, so this one looks nice :

$69 at Reconditioned Sales
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Cost may be a decision maker. I did a review of a drill/driver here. I bought it as a back up just to try out. I also have a 14.4 PC drill/hammerdrill, which is the cats meow. No real comparison, but weight is a factor.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've heard good things about the Ryobi One+ 18V driver drill, but can't seem to find it on the HD website. I have a friend that TEARS UP power tools, and he can't seem to kill this thing. (He has been through countless Delta and Porter Cable stuff... Pretty sad actually).
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Last year HD had a huge display of cordless tool specials. Has anybody seen anything similar shaping up at hardware stores near them?

JR
            JR

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I have the Ryobi 18V drill which I like very much. It is often available at a very good price on Black Friday if you can wait that long. I have drilled 1/2 holes in steel with it - repeatedly to move the axle on my boat trailer. A battery was good for more than 1 but not two holes when the bit was sharp. With two batteries, I just kept switching. Mine is the older NiCad type. The newer nickel metal hydride are supposed to be significantly better. I also have the circular saw which is OK but drains batteries really fast. I like the jigsaw more. It has a nice no-tools blade clamp and takes bosch blades. The same batteries work in a wide range of tools so you can keep adding things - like reciprocating saws, routers, impact drivers, etc..

Jim

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

JR,

I have adopted a two tool strategy. I use a 4v Ryobi LiON driver. [$29.97 at HD] It takes hex shank screw drivers and nut drivers. This little gut is really torquey. The charge last a long time and it drives long screws in hardwood. Now I always pre-drill and wax the screws.

For most drilling I use a light-weight 9.6v Ryobi drill. Again, small and light weight and I haven't found it under powered for anything I have had to drill.

Steve

I also own an 18v Coleman for lag screws, etc. I even have one of those huge two chuck Mansfield drills. But, the big ones are rarely used.

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• drillman88
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Southeast
                  • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I have 2 Dewalt 18v drills a 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive.I have really used the 3/8 hard.It came with the lighter non hd batteries and is pretty light and very well balanced.I have used it so much I am started to smell a little burn in the brushes but it still works great.The 1/2 is good for torque but a bit bulky for most jobs.
                  I also have a 12v impact driver that works well.It has as much or more torque than the 18v drills but you have to be careful because there is no clutch and you can drive srews through soft wood.I also dont like to use it for big countersinks because it starts to ratchet when under a lot of torque instead of continuosly turn like a drill.But for most things it works very well.
                  I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

JR,
                    If you're not averse to looking at CM, I've had positive experience with their C3 tools, and like this combo (currently on sale for $119) I picked up earlier this year, primarily for the RA drill - but the drill driver has been great:

If you want an combo with drill driver and impact driver, this one is on sale for $129:

The C3 line is 19.2v, and that adds a little weight; the combos come stock with NiCad batteries - but interchangable, upgrade LiIon batteries are available.
                    Shop Sears for appliances, tools, clothing, mattresses & more. Great name brands like Kenmore, Craftsman Tools, Serta, Diehard and many others.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

This was covered pretty well about a month ago here are the two links. Do to specialization in this area, pay attention to what is being recommended, i.e. and "old fashioned" drill/driver, or the more recent Impact Driver.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Have fun choosing,
                      Russ

Comment

• JeffG78
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                        • BT3100

I have always used DeWalt 14.4V drills, but recently I got a Ryobi 18V Li-Ion to replace the DeWalt. So far it works well, but the chuck is not nearly as good. The DeWalt never slipped, but the Ryobi slips way too easily. The overall feel isn't as good either, but not to the point that I wouldn't buy it again. The DeWalt batteries are so expensive that I had to try something different. The Ryobi is too new to determine how many charge cycles the battereies will handle.

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by Thalermade
                          This was covered pretty well about a month ago here are the two links.
                          Thanks for the links, Russ. You'd think after all this time I'd know how to do a search.

There are some very interesting discussions there redarding Impact Drivers. I had been kind of avoiding the ID, thinking it wouldn't provide much value for me. What I really wanted was a Hammer Drill in addition to a DD. In fact, the ideal tool would have switch of modes from hammer to smooth.

So, does an ID function as an HD when required? Can I chuck up a masonry bit somehow and use the HD to drill holes in concrete?

JR
                          JR

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                            I've heard good things about the Ryobi One+ 18V driver drill, but can't seem to find it on the HD website. I have a friend that TEARS UP power tools, and he can't seem to kill this thing. (He has been through countless Delta and Porter Cable stuff... Pretty sad actually).
                            I think there is more than one One+ drill. I have a set of One+ including a drill/driver and also some add-ons like the One+ Impact driver which is great.

FYI - HD is running a special on One+ right now. If you buy a set you get a One+ tool of your choice for free.
                            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                            techzibits.com

Comment

• Tom Slick
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                              • sears BT3 clone

So, does an ID function as an HD when required? Can I chuck up a masonry bit somehow and use the HD to drill holes in concrete?
                              an ID doesn't "punch" outward like a hammer drill.

do you really do a lot of masonry work?
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...