• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Disappointed with packaging...

I ordered some router bits last week from MLCS to finish some trim for a kitchen pantry closet that was being redone.....long thread........and was really upset at the packaging. They threw the two 1/2" shank router bits into a manilla envelope and mailed it to me! Yes each bit was in its own thin vinyl sleeve, but there wasn't much to keep them from smashing together. I was really suprised at them. Carbide being brittle and all, you would expect them to at least put some foam around the heads. Who knows what the heads will smash against in the postal system. And I don't think the goop that coats the heads is enough to cushion them either. What do you think?
    Rant off.
    Yes, it was good enough.
    48.15%
    No, they should have done better.
    51.85%

The poll is expired.

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

I screwed-up, I intended to click "it should have been better."

Sorry.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

CG, you will be drawn and quartered! just kidding thanks for the support

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by chopnhack
        CG, you will be drawn and quartered! just kidding thanks for the support
        Get in line.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Depending on how thick and the density of the dippity doo wah was, they should have at least wrapped in some bubble wrap. I've received router bits, shaper cutters, and even sawblades, that the coating was super tough, and took some effort to get it off. And, OTOH, some of the bits sold at retail outlets, the coating falls off due to all the oil on the bit that was coated over.

Comment

• pecker
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003

I've probably ordered from them 20 times over the past couple years. Nothing ever arrived damaged or defective.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Most of my router bits were ordered from MLCS. They all came packaged in their vinyl sleeves, but there was a rubber coating on the cutting edges.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

If there's even a perception that the packaging was insufficient, then they should have packaged it better.
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Schleeper
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  I ordered some router bits last week from MLCS to finish some trim for a kitchen pantry closet that was being redone.....long thread........and was really upset at the packaging. They threw the two 1/2" shank router bits into a manilla envelope and mailed it to me! Yes each bit was in its own thin vinyl sleeve, but there wasn't much to keep them from smashing together. I was really suprised at them. Carbide being brittle and all, you would expect them to at least put some foam around the heads. Who knows what the heads will smash against in the postal system. And I don't think the goop that coats the heads is enough to cushion them either. What do you think?
                  Rant off.
                  Just a plain manila envelope, like the ones used to mail a pamphlet or several sheets of paper? If it's not a large enough shipment to send in a box, I would expect them to use a bubble envelope.
                  "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I've always had the impression MLCS uses packaging that is on hand. I don't mean they are being cheap, but they recycle newspapers and stuff.

Every shipment I have gotten from MLCS, from the Pins & Tails templates and router bits to a single 1/4" shank dovetail bit (The P&T kit had the sleeve, no bit, they made right.) I have ordered through MLCS about 6 times all in the last year, packaging was as thus.

Bits that weren't in a special case like the rabbeting bit, were dipped in a yellowish clear plasticy goop, that was a S.O.B. to peel off. The bit was then placed in a vinyl sleeve. That vinyl sleeve was then set in a carboard box well padded with wadded up newspaper or butcher paper.

The boxes, and padding material all appear to be re-used materials, which is fine by me. I like the fact they are keeping costs, and environmental impact down. Yes, they slap their label on the box, but other than the thin heavy paper sleeve thingy for the templates, no cardboard boxes appeared to have been made specifically for MLCS...

The postal service probably could have air dropped my deliveries from 35,000 feet and they would have been fine..

Pretty? No. Functional? Yes.

Assuming they shipped it wrapped in bubble wrap type envelope, no worries, but if it was just a plain envelope, I would be concerned...

I wasn't sure about the poll question. IF you are asking if the packaging you are describing was good. I would have voted no. But It looked to me like you meant if I thought the packaging I have gotten from them was any good. Yeah, I have always had good...
                    Last edited by dbhost; 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

They can send it by carrier pigeon or grenade launcher for all I care, as long as it gets here in good shape I'm fine with it I've only purchased a few things from them in the past, but I will continue to in the future -- they have awesome prices for very nice functional bits, plus free shipping! Whatever it takes to keep those costs down is fine with me, as long as the product isn't damaged, and they stand behind it in the rare case that it is...

Since they coat their bits in wax, then put them in the plastic sleeves, I think it would be pretty hard to chip a carbide cutter in the mail.

-Tim

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

I have always been satisfied with MLCS shipping.

My experience has been the opposite from chop. The last single bit I ordered came dipped, in a plastic box, in a small cardboard box, in a 8"x8"x8" corrugated box filled with paper and bubble-wrap. I thought that it must have cost them twice what was necessary to ship.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Just to clarify, the tips were dipped. The bits put into their respective sleeves and tossed into a single walled - read thin sheet - manilla envelope. Nothing more. On first inspection, they look ok, I just thought that it was kinda crappy for them to ship that way. As soon as I use them I will know more! Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I'd probably be miffed at that too. At the least they should have had them in a bubble wrap envelope, Maybe they were having a bad day, I dunno. Never had that from them. Always been well packaged.... Sorry to see that you got that from them. Betcha a donut that if one of those bits is bad they'll make it right for ya... MLCS has customer service that the computer companies should look up to, and certainly far better than any finanical company I have had to deal with...
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

This is the third negative comment on MLCS in the last in the last month or so. They had a good reputation up until then. I think they may have some work to do.
                              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...