Transfering a cabinet TS to a base

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 3061
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

    #1

    Transfering a cabinet TS to a base

    I have finally reconciled myself to the fact that my Unisaw is gonna arrive before I manage to get a mobile base for it.

    But since the base is mandatory for me, I think in a few days I will find myself in a position of having to move a 500 lb saw to the mobile base on my own (should have one friend helping out).

    That said - what's the best way of doing this transfer?

    Or rather, what can I do when receiving my saw to make the subsequent transfer easier? Short of buying a forklift, that is. I read a couple of threads on SMC, but am still unclear.

    I thought maybe I could set it down on a couple of 2x4s when it arrives, and not use it till the mobile base is delivered. Would that make it easier?

    Just don't want anybody getting hurt, or the saw damaged.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 3196
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

    #2
    I would guess that there is a lot of the weight in the cast iron tables, extension table, rails and fence.

    I would also think that you would want to take it apart anyway to give it a good clean and some TLC, not to mention a meticulous setup before you start using it. Once you take the aformentioned items off I would bet the main body is liftable by 2 guys into whichever mobile base you choose. You can then reassemble once its on the base.

    I remember when I got my PM bandsaw it weighs over 200lbs and 2 of us were able to get it onto its base without too much trouble.
    Jon

    Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
    ________________________________

    We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

    Comment

    • thrytis
      Senior Member
      • May 2004
      • 552
      • Concord, NC, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

      #3
      Is your unisaw new and boxed? If so, i would suggest leaving it on the pallet. If you have the wide table with legs, you'll probably need to put something under the legs so they are level with the base. Once you have your mobile base, slide it off the pallet onto the mobile base. I was able to put mine on the base by myself, though without the fence and cast iron wing. I think with two people you could manage to do it completely assembled. Don't be intimidated by the weight, and don't try to lift the whole saw.
      Eric

      Comment

      • radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • 3061
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

        #4
        Thanks, Jon and Eric.

        No, not new. I'm getting it from a cabinet shop that's going out of business, so even the delivery is a friendly gesture. I was hoping to make the best of their help by getting a good mobile base in fast, but ain't gonna happen.

        Come to think of it, I am not sure how we are gonna get the saw in his van to my garage. Maybe disassembled as suggested by Jon? How much time does that take - disassembling and assembling - is it a strenous effort or a matter of hours?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

        Comment

        • Stan
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2004
          • 966
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

          #5
          One of the reasons my engine hoist is still stashed away in storage and not given away or sold.......

          You should be able to rent one for fairly cheap.
          From the NW corner of Montana.
          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

          Comment

          • Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • 1848
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

            #6
            The only thing that might need disassembled is the rails and extension table. Maybe the left wing, ten-fifteen minutes tops. I assembled my base, tilted the saw and slid the base under it partially then wiggled it into place. That was with a Griz 1023 so it should be about the same weight. Would have been easier with two grown men though. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

            Comment

            • thrytis
              Senior Member
              • May 2004
              • 552
              • Concord, NC, USA.
              • Delta Unisaw

              #7
              Assembly can be done by one person. The hardest part is getting everything perfectly level or straight. Assuming you don't have to deal with a warped table or the idiot design for aligning the splitter, it shouldn't be too bad.

              With two of you, you should be able to tilt one end of the saw and slide a 2x4 under a corner, then tilt it the other way to get a second under the saw, then slide it onto the mobile base.

              You are probably worrying too much about the weight. I worried a bit when i got my unisaw and 250 lb bandsaw, but i was able to unload, assemble, and install mobile bases on both by myself, and i'm not strong. You just have to use your head.
              Eric

              Comment

              • dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • 9562
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

                #8
                I am not sure about the Unisaw, but I have seen some folks showing off I think it was a new Powermatic, that is crated with a steel frame, the frame is bolted to the bottom of the saw cabinet, and has a big eyelet for lifting in the top. If your unisaw has one of these, go to a tool rental place and rent an auto engine cherry picket (basically a small shop crane), or borrow one from a buddy if you have any hot rodder friends with well equipped shops. You can hoist the saw up with the cherry picker, roll the base under it, and SLOWLY lower the saw onto the base.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

                Comment

                • radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 3061
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

                  #9
                  Originally posted by thrytis
                  You are probably worrying too much about the weight. I worried a bit when i got my unisaw and 250 lb bandsaw, but i was able to unload, assemble, and install mobile bases on both by myself, and i'm not strong. You just have to use your head.
                  Whew! That's why this is my 'home' in the virtual world - I get all anybody could hope for : information as applicable, assurances as needed !

                  You are right - I was overly worried about the weight; but less so now, hearing of your experience(s). I was wondering if I could manage with the nudge, wriggle, lift, <repeat> routine, and Pat seems to have done just that!

                  I guess I am just excited anticipating the 'delivery'! More or less my first, you know !
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

                  Comment

                  • cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • 15216
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

                    #10
                    A temporary base could be just a piece of 3/4" plywood and 4 casters. One person can tilt the saw to slide the ply underneath. Then blocking the wheels, go to the other side and leverage the saw up and walk it onto the plywood. Then you can roll it to where ever. When you finally decide on the type of base you want, it can be leveraged off the plywood onto a base. In the meantime, the saw will be higher, but is still usable.
                    .

                    Comment

                    • crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • 10627
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

                      #11
                      If you want a good, cheap mobile base right now, go get a furniture dolly. Good to 1000lbs and it costs 30 bucks. If you don't have one you need one for stuff anyway. That is also how to get the saw from his van to your shop.
                      David

                      The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

                      Comment

                      • radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 3061
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

                        #12
                        Ooo, more suggestions! I can rig up that plywood pretty soon, I think - just need to get the casters; maybe from HD or Ace today. Maybe HarborFreight sell the double-lock ones?

                        But I also have a dolly from HF - and never realized it has a 1000lb capacity! It's wheels don't lock, but could jam them temporarily. Need to check if HF sells any with locks.

                        Now nobody shoot me for being cheap, but I guess I should not use a dolly as a permanent base, should I? Maybe not strong/steady enough? And a tendency to tip-over?

                        And how's the HF Mobile base ($49.99)? Looks shaky.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

                        Comment

                        • dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 9562
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

                          #13
                          Never heard kind words about HFs mobile bases...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

                          Comment

                          • shoottx
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2008
                            • 1240
                            • Plano, Texas
                            • BT3000

                            #14
                            Originally posted by radhak
                            But I also have a dolly from HF - and never realized it has a 1000lb capacity! It's wheels don't lock, but could jam them temporarily. Need to check if HF sells any with locks.

                            Now nobody shoot me for being cheap, but I guess I should not use a dolly as a permanent base, should I? Maybe not strong/steady enough? And a tendency to tip-over?
                            Are you concerned the "Shop Etiquette Police" ar going to do an inspection after you get the new saw?

                            If the furniture moving bas works Nd you can adapt a lock down method (See the one Pappy used) it might be the best thing since sliced bread and canned beer.

                            If your luck is like mine, as soon as I commit the furniture moving dolly to the shop I will need it a bunch more places all at once.
                            Often in error - Never in doubt

                            Mike

                            Comment

                            • radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 3061
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

                              #15
                              Originally posted by shoottx
                              Are you concerned the "Shop Etiquette Police" ar going to do an inspection after you get the new saw?.
                              No, not yet! But would be scared of a tippy saw.

                              If the furniture moving bas works Nd you can adapt a lock down method (See the one Pappy used) it might be the best thing since sliced bread and canned beer.

                              If your luck is like mine, as soon as I commit the furniture moving dolly to the shop I will need it a bunch more places all at once.
                              Didn't see Pappy's post. Which thread was that?
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

                              Comment

                              Working...