• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Lee Valley

I am about to place some orders for new toys and was considering using Lee Valley. I know you will all beat me up about this but I have never ordered from them before

I have always heard good things but what can you guys tell me. e.g. how long does their shipping take to the SW (Phoenix) I would imagine similar to TX or CA, does it all ship from Canada? Is their customer service good if you have issues?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Every order that I've placed with Lee Valley has always arrived in 7 days or less. All have been well packaged and "damaged in shipment" has never been an issue.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have had no problems with several orders now. Their products and service are usually first rate. I think everything will come from Canada, not 100% sure but that is where they're based.
      As for time, Canadian Postal service is noted for being slow, but I don't recall it being a problem, I'm sure there were a number of shipping options including UPS and Fedex, their order page should tell you how long it takes for each option.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Always top-notch stuff, shipped quickly and packed well.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

It ships quickly, and I get it quickly, but then I'm a bit closer than you are. All of the package that I've gotten have shipped from upstate NY, right on the border. They have at least a US shipping location, probably due to duties and the like. Always good service.

Jim

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

You do realize that "Lee Valley" is French-Canadian for "slippery slope?"

My experience, over about one dozen orders, has been to receive the order in about the same time as other vendors at best, and one or two extra days at worst. There have certainly been no long delays just because they're based in Canada (I've never actually noticed where the shipments come from). My most recent order was placed on a Friday, shipped the following Tuesday, arrived on Friday. All my orders have come via UPS.

No experience with their CS department; haven't had any reason to put them to the test.
            Larry

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Thanks guys - order just placed
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

Lee Valley is one of my favorites. They ship quickly and they usually arrive out here on the left coast in less than a week.

Their packing is very good too. I have ordered some really fragile stuff, like glass egg timers, with no breakage.

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

The only regret you will ever have in placing that order with Lee Valley is, soon you will need another fix. Just tell the wife it's way cheaper than drugs or strip joints.

Bill, who if he had lots of money would have sent it by now to Lee Valley.

Comment

• final_t
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by poolhound
                    I know you will all beat me up about this
                    Why would you expect that? AFAIK, everyone has had a good experience with LV. I have contacted their customer service both before and after the sale, and had to return a few items in the past, and have been nothing but pleased.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by final_t
                      Why would you expect that? AFAIK, everyone has had a good experience with LV. I have contacted their customer service both before and after the sale, and had to return a few items in the past, and have been nothing but pleased.
                      I guess its just that I have been WWing and contributing to this forum for so long and have never yet ordered anything from LV
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Turaj
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                        • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by jziegler
                        ... All of the package that I've gotten have shipped from upstate NY, right on the border. They have at least a US shipping location, probably due to duties and the like. Always good service.

Jim
                        Lee Valley head office and their customer service call centre is located in Ottawa (Ontario, Canada). As Jim mentioned they do have a shipping centre in upstate NY (Ogdensburg?) to facilitate shipping and occasional returns! They are the only company (that I know of) that provide free shipping on their returns (at least in Canada).
                        Turaj (in Toronto)
                        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

I'd rate their customer service as top notch. They do pay return shipping in the US even if you are the one that goofed!

shipping rates and times are reasonable
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• HarmsWay
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Victoria, BC
                            • BT3000

I'd rate their online business as top notch - accurate in-stock assessment, predictable delivery times. The only issue I ever had was as a result of buying something from them at a woodworking show. I typically save an order when the show is in town because it's always free shipping on any orders made there. My order arrived fine but my credit card got billed for my order plus someone else's. I noticed this on a Sunday, phoned them right away. I talked to a real person who was very helpful and who said that it would be dealt with first thing Monday morning. It was. I'm not very happy that it happened but I can see how it would be possible. After that, they handled it as well as I could have asked for.

Bob

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Lots of great feedback - thanks.

I placed my order yesterday, it shipped today and according to FedEX it will be here next Thursday - cant wait.
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...