• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Butchers 'Bowling Alley' Wax

Has anyone used Butcher's wax for a tool coating? I was wondering if it is much different, mainly longer lasting, as the other common paste waxes. I heard about this product from AAJIII's Reception Desk project.
    Erik
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

In past discussions the general opinion/concensus is that it was pure wax and would be as good as other paste waxes like Johnson's.
    I don't see that it would be better.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Here it is, well a very old can I bought at a salvage store for $0.80.

My only concern is the statement on the can, blended in turpinetine. Is that common on all wood waxes?
      Attached Files
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• docrowan
        • Mar 2007
        • New Albany, MS
        • BT3100

Yes, turpentine was normally the solvent used to make a hard wax into a paste. The solvent evaporates out to leave the hard coating that makes wax a useful protectant and polish. To be honest, I thought they still used turpentine. It's news to me that something else is used now.
        - Chris.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

just out of curiousity i looked up the MSDS data sheet for SC Johnson's paste wax.
          they list ingredients as 3-7% Carnuba wax and 60-90% isoparaffinic hydrocarbon solvent.

Butcher's White Diamond Bowling Alley Wax MSDS says its 60-75% mineral spirits and 10-25% turpentine.
          also lists carnuba wax, paraffin wax and partialy saponifed waxes as ingredients.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have a can on the shelf with the Johnson's Wood wax. I don't find it any better nor worse. The smell from the Butcher's Wax will linger a day or so longer due to the turpentine content. Actually I assume that's why the smell lingers longer.

Comment

Working...