• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rh111
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • KS, USA.

CI Top protection

I have been using Boeshield to clean and protect the CI top on my Delta. It seems that every time I turn around, I am having to clean and reapply protectant. Anyone have any good suggestions. I think that there has be a better protectant as than the Boeshield. I know that there cleaner is great at removing the surface contaminants, but their protectant gives a nice slick surface, but I question it for true protection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
    It's all good till it's no good any more.
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

How long are you going between applications? Maybe your current three month interval (I just pulled that one out of my hat) is about what you can expect. I've never used anythng but Johnson's paste wax and I have to reapply every four to six months. Even at that, the slowly growing 'patina' tells me that it could be more often. Once a year I pull out the sander and 3-M pads, lather up the table with WD-40 (only because I like the smell over kerosene) and give it a good rubdown, wipe up with mineral spirits and two coats of wax. We all develope a product and a schedule that we are comfortable with (dang prepositions). I'd rather do it less often but it is what it is and I'm content.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rh111
      I have been using Boeshield to clean and protect the CI top on my Delta. It seems that every time I turn around, I am having to clean and reapply protectant. Anyone have any good suggestions. I think that there has be a better protectant as than the Boeshield. I know that there cleaner is great at removing the surface contaminants, but their protectant gives a nice slick surface, but I question it for true protection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
      There was a review/use test in a magazine a few years ago, where they exposed newly cleaned and prepped CI tables to extreme moisture and teh Boeshield T9 (protectant) was hands above the best product. I came away from reading that thinking there was not much that could beat T9. I use it on my tables now.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I strip it off and reapply T9 in the spring and fall. Each application also gets a couple of coats of paste wax over the T9.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Dustmight
          I strip it off and reapply T9 in the spring and fall. Each application also gets a couple of coats of paste wax over the T9.
          That sounds like a good combination. I have mainly used just pastewax. I have been noticing that while my BS seems to stay very clean the table and fence of my jointer starts to show signs of tarnish quite quickly. Not sure why there should be a difference. When I am in a waxing mood I tend to do all relevant surfaces so they should need redoing at similar times. I guess usage would play a factor. Its harder to tell on the tables saw and router as they are not CI.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

What is your "clean and protect" technique with the boesheild? could you be wiping off more then you should?
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• rh111
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2005
              • KS, USA.

I have been using the rust remover to get rid of the surface contaminants. Once that is done, follow the directions on the can of protectant. This past weekend, used the cleaner. Applied one med coat of protectant, let is dry to haze, buffed it off. Repeated the process a second round of protectant. This was how the product was demonstrated to me at a WW show by their rep and it is how I have done it for the past 2 years. I just think that either I am doing something wrong, or they have a terrible product. I think that it is the first of the two options. It seems that I am only getting 2 maybe 3 months between cleanings and I think that I should be doing well beyond that.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

It sounds like you are using the correct technique. are you using the rust remover every time?
                How much use does the top get between cleanings?
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• rh111
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2005
                  • KS, USA.

I use the rust remover everytime as that is what is appearing - rust. The last 6 months, I have been at the saw almost every weekend. Granted some weekends it has only been a couple of cuts. This past weekend, was pretty heavy.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Not all cast iron is the same... there are varying "recipes" for it, and some batches are more prone to rust than others.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...