• Show
Clear All
  • AAJIII
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
    • Steel City 10" table saw

Quick question

I have access to a radial arm saw and was thinking of setting it up as a dedicated dado saw.

I know it has limitations but for that quick dado in a small panel it would save me the time of setting up the table saw.

So what do you think?

Thank you

AL
    AL JEWELL
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by AAJIII
    I have access to a radial arm saw and was thinking of setting it up as a dedicated dado saw.

I know it has limitations but for that quick dado in a small panel it would save me the time of setting up the table saw.

So what do you think?

Thank you

AL
    If you have the room for it, I'd say go for it.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

As said if you have the room for it, yesserie. It would be great for dadoes and rabbets also. You are limited to the length of pull. I've always kept an extra RAS around with the intent of taking out the motor and installing a router, making it a radial arm router. Never got to it.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Just learn how to use it, and how not to... An RAS is a dangerous tool, and if it comes crawlin' for ya, you won't be able to outrun it...

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          Just learn how to use it, and how not to... An RAS is a dangerous tool, and if it comes crawlin' for ya, you won't be able to outrun it...

Good call. In reality anything sharp is dangerous. Another tip has to do with set up and use. IMO, the RAS is one of the most involved stationary tools in the shop. It has more settings and adjustments, for tilting, rotating, sliding, and elevation changes than any other tool I can think of. Understanding how it works, set up and maintain, and to use it safely is paramount. It would be wise to get a manual for the model.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

I have a small Craftsman RAS--8", that I keep with a 3/4" dado set up. It has been that way since I had to cut dozens of half-lap joints. When it set up that way, it's amazing how frequently you use it.

Be very careful. A RAS blade climbs toward you. Even with a single blade, you have to restrain it as you pull the blade towards you. A dado pushes a lot harder. Take shallow cuts and be prepared for the force coming towards you. Obviously keep your hands clear of any possible path for the blade.

Steve
            Last edited by scmhogg; 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM. Reason: Addition
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

It'll work great for dado's. I use a negative hook blade on mine and it's my primary cutoff saw. Well tuned and properly respected and used it's a great saw to have in the shop. Probably my second most used saw after the TS. Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Hoover
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • USA.

A radial saw will be safer to use if you use a negative rake blade as Popeye mentions. Freud makes a nice blade one source here: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16428

Also get an operator's manual for the saw. EBay is one place to look.

Good luck with it.
                No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I've never even seen a RAS in person. How do they differ from a sliding CMS other than the angles bit? Isn't a sliding compound miter saw a replacement for a RAS?
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I've never even seen a RAS in person. How do they differ from a sliding CMS other than the angles bit? Isn't a sliding compound miter saw a replacement for a RAS?
                    It is hard to put into words the differences without actually watching all of the options available but think of a RAS as a SCMS on STEROIDS and compare the differences in abilities - as the difference in a watching a high jump versus a gymnastics event.

The RAS head can be turned to rip boards - i.e. the boards can be fed along the table as with a TS; the RAS motor/head can be tilted and locked in two different axis plus a third from the "Arm". The potential for tilting the head is much greater on the RAS.

BUT the flexibility allows for more adjustments getting out of whack. This requires more attention and checking in setup adjustments, but it is not unreasonable if you are used to it.

The biggest operating difference in most cuts:
                    On SCSMs, you pull the head all the way out, start the saw and push away from you into the cut.
                    On RAS, you generally start the blade and from its start/rest position, then pull towards you to make the cut.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

My RAS experience goes back more than 40 years, and I've been an owner since 1974. (I bought my first table saw [a BT3100] just a couple of years ago.) Knowing how to properly set up and use an RAS is absolutely essential to both safety and quality results.

I have my manual and an RAS guide in PDF format, if you need it, let me know.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

Do they make negative rake dado sets?

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...