That no tool riving knife is nice.
    Erik

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I'm gonna say it: The new Unisaw is ULGY. Perhaps it should be called the Uglysaw. The two front wheels makes the saw look like it has boobs! I wonder if it refuses to cut wood for several days of each month.

And for having taken SOOOOO long to design that follow-up to a gold-standard, they sure didn't seem to come up with much in the way of new/unique technology.

And I sure didn't like the way you have to adjust the RK. Having one hand on the knife while fidding under the front of the saw with the other hand is an accident waiting to happen.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I like the saw. Both handles in the front is cool, and the bevel gauge I would check closely. the extra distance in front of the blade is great.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I think it's pretty innovative considering table saw technology peaked about 30 years ago and with the exception of the sawstop nothing new has come out. both handles in the front, a real emergency stop from the factory, and a bevel guide that is actually accurate are all great features. The riving knife adjustment/disconnect being actuated from the front seems a little over engineered but still innovative and a great feature.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I like it, the layout and features. If I had unlimited funds I would invest in one. the only thing I would add is a third party sliding table.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

I'll take one, I just have to win the lottery first!
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Wonder how much of a discount I can talk Jim into giving the mailman??????
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• pacwind3
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Vancouver, WA
                  • Bosch 4100

Holy crap that whole riving knife and guard design looks like it came straight off the Bosch table saw. Delta ripped it off!!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

I like it... Now, if they could build in a SawStop module...

I'll bet it'll take a second mortgage to buy it, though...

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Taking a second look, if they thought an option for a "short fence" was feasible or safe I'm sure it would have been included on this "all new design".

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        Taking a second look, if they thought an option for a "short fence" was feasible or safe I'm sure it would have been included on this "all new design".
                        Are you sure? It took them 71 years (1937) to change their design from a splitter to a riving knife.

I got to use the new Uni-saw at the Show this week. The extra space in front of the blade is very nice. The saw runs nice and the gears are smooth and should be for $2900 even though by the time it hits the market I do believe that price might rise. Due to the cost of cast iron haven almost doubled and the cost of shipping Conex containers from over there has risen around $1500 per corntainer over the last 6 months.

It doesn't have built in casters (you use their mobile base which is extra) but it does have a drawer. Instead of a drawer I personally think they could have added a router table insert for those with a very small shop. It makes me wonder just how many WW'ers they spoke to when deciding to give the WW what they wanted?
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

A blade dust shroud? There Delta goes again, stealing from the BT3x00...
                          Joe

Comment

• jlm
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • Austin, TX

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                            Instead of a drawer I personally think they could have added a router table insert for those with a very small shop. It makes me wonder just how many WW'ers they spoke to when deciding to give the WW what they wanted?
                            I suspect that most of their research was done with existing Unisaw customers, which is to say larger shops, commercial production type guys. Given the cost involved, I have a feeling most Unisaws are in shops where there's plenty of space for a dedicated router table. Probably not very many people spending three grand on a saw and then jamming it into a one-car garage!

As for the short fence, I would guess that it's the same old story - Delta's customers are used to a long fence, and Delta isn't going to be rocking the boat too much. As you point out, Sarge, they had to practically be dragged kicking and screaming to the riving knife. Give it a half century or two, they'll come around to the short rip fence eventually.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by jlm
                              I suspect that most of their research was done with existing Unisaw customers, which is to say larger shops, commercial production type guys. Given the cost involved, I have a feeling most Unisaws are in shops where there's plenty of space for a dedicated router table. Probably not very many people spending three grand on a saw and then jamming it into a one-car garage!

As for the short fence, I would guess that it's the same old story - Delta's customers are used to a long fence, and Delta isn't going to be rocking the boat too much. As you point out, Sarge, they had to practically be dragged kicking and screaming to the riving knife. Give it a half century or two, they'll come around to the short rip fence eventually.
                              Oh you're right about the short fence as most Americans use long fences and most don't even know what a short fence is. But... many love the Uni-fence which is a form of a short fence when positioned to do so. So.. Delta really already has a short fence and for those that don't have a Uni-fence I could show them how to add a short fence in 20 minutes for under $20.

Nobody demanded a riving knife until the last few years as it "suddenly" got popular and now about everyone wants one even though most don't even really understand how it works and what the advantages are. The BT3 saws had them and a dust chute for years.

But I noticed in the little pre-view video the product manager mentioned the riving knife as an idea they borrowed from their European competitors. That gives the Europeans credit for the idea. But... but... the first riving knive was on a piece of old iron made in the U.S.A. in the 30's and that's where the Europeans got the idea. After Delta came out with the Uni-saw in 1937 as a UNI (all components undre ONE roof) all the manufacturers changed their design to match and the Uni-saw became the model to knock-off other saws. And the splitter became the norm as the Uni-saw had one on that land-mark original Uni-saw.

And they did have to be dragged screaming to the riving knife. But.. the biggest motivation was not because they suddenly decided to get "in touch" with the Wood-worker and their needs. It was mainly because they have loss a very large market share to other companies because they had their head up their hinny and used the name Delta thinking that was all that was required as there has been litterally no innovation from them. Well until now when they finally realized the little crack in the dam that has been trickling water for many years causing the lake to slowly go down was about to collapse the dam altogether causing a major flood diaster drowning their financial future.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...